Bravo 1 Upper swivel pin adjustment >

Bravo 1 Upper swivel pin adjustment

Notices

Bravo 1 Upper swivel pin adjustment

Old 07-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bravo 1 Upper swivel pin adjustment

I was wondering if anyone here has ever had to adjust the upper swivel pin. I had noticed a minor leak a few months ago and I'm pretty sure that it's the upper swivel pin seal that's leaking. Yesterday I noticed that I have way more vertical play (about 1/8") on the lower swivel pin than when I set it up 2 years ago. Is it common for vertical play to devlop with time and use or is it likely that the gimbal housing is wearing or cracking allowing the swivel pin to come down. The boat is equipped with dual ram external hydraulic steering and the merc steering ram has been removed. In any event, I plan to get on it this weekend and was looking for a little insight before starting.

Thanks in advance,

Rene
Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only way that this swivel pin should need an adjustment is if the nut on top the swivel pin has backed off or if something has worn very bad i belive that the clearance is .25-.50
Old 07-06-2007, 07:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fix it is to buy merc's swivel pin nut kit with the plastic plugs, drill 2,1 1/8 holes in the upper part of the transom assy. disassemble everything down to the gimble ring so the pin can be removed, with a 5/8 wrench and socket remove the pinch bolt, and with a hammer and punch remove the swivel pin nut, then the pin should drop out the bottom after loosening the u-clanp on the gimble ring, purchase a new seal and the nut and plug kit( i don't have the p#) replace the seal, tap out the holes for the plugs and reassemble with hammer and punch,( the new nut is designed to be beaten into place), this sounds like a sh-tty repair, but its better than pulling the engine and inner transom plate.
Good Luck
Old 07-06-2007, 07:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the merc # for the access plugs and the special nut.
22-88847A1, it comes with a template for drilling the holes.