Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
82 40' Excalibur Hawk..Good or bad??? >

82 40' Excalibur Hawk..Good or bad???

Notices

82 40' Excalibur Hawk..Good or bad???

Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

TRS are in my experiance, stronger than a bravo. I wouldnt want standard bravos' pushing my Excalibur, I sure they would be snapping quite often.

I think the Scarab III has a bit more headroom than the Hawk, due to the scarabs raised deck design. However, the vberth is smaller in the Scarab.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah your probably right that the TRS are stronger then the stock bravo...but age playes a factor and parts availibility.
Bravo parts you can find anywere..and replace a hole drive for 1500. Thats the only good thing about them...LOL
I did see a decal on the back of the boat that I thought said Innovation motors.
I don't know who they are..but my first question to them would be WHY..would you put a low rise dual quad manifold on a 500HP engine????
Thats like doubleing your problems on a single engine when there is no need to do so.
That manifold design comes from the 60's and was never updated by anybody....you can probably make more HP from a stock Eldelbrock performer with a stock 850 Holly and use less gas.
Then those exhaust headers....the top looks great...and should have been a direct run out the back....but that 90 degree dive down to the bottom, then I'm sure another 90 turn to exit at the bottom of the transom....pretty much killed any performace you would have gotten from the headers....

your afraid of the noise police..hang some mufflers off the back....don't drill holes in your trans, below the water line, and screw up a set of what look to be good headers.....
Just some strange stuff going on there.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered

Thanks Mild for the info on the headroom. My only concern is my girlfriend had back surgury..so cabin hieght could be a problem. She's about 5'8" so the head has to be useable for her...and at least to get to the cabin seats can't be a major pain. Not like she can just jump in the water when nature calls....LOL
She's probably good for 1 swim a day..with a good ladder off the swim platform.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Registered

Yea, I believe the tunnel ram intake is good for a few HP over a single 4V carb setup, but to me isnt worth the bs. I have heard of innovation, and hear great stuff about them, so who knows.

The headroom and cabin entry are a little on the tight side. However, the head design may actualy be better for your GF, cuz it is basically open. VS A tiny closet with a porti potti.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Registered

If you pm me your email adress, i have bunch of hawk pics.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Registered

Thanks mild that would be great. I don't seem to be able to PM you..you can just send the pic's to [email protected]

Much better to have pic's she can look at then to drive for over 3 hours for her to say forget it...I can't deal with that cabin...LOL
Sport boat cabins are pretty small..the worst is fountain, or at least 1 of the worst...LOL
The most usable is Sonic or the newer Donzi 33..but of course the money jumps up with those.
It's pretty tough to find a good comprimise between usable space, speed and price and off course a quality built boat.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Registered

If are not too into top speed, the 1985-1988 Wellcraft 42ft Eagle had huge cabins with lots of headroom, a/c, enclosed heads, etc. Same bottom as the Excalibur Hawk 40, but has a raised deck and molded in swim platform. Also, the 41ft CHris Craft Stingers, and 1988-1989 38ft Stingers had real nice cabins and very modern styling, but hard to find. That is my only complaint about my hawk, is the cabin headroom. But the cockpit and sunpad make up for it.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

These are great boats, especially when you throw a little...or a lot of money at them. My boat was completely gutted about 6yrs ago and has been put back together with all of the latest parts. I went back with IMCO extreme drives (bravo) and have not had any problems even with 700HP. If Konrad had been up and running I would have used them.

The boat you are looking at was owned by a guy from Sarasota. It sat on the lift for many years. The exhaust is really pretty cool if you want a quiet idle with big HP. It was always my understanding that the Innovation engines were making around 600HP. The boat was rumored to run around 70mph. This was 10 years ago.

I have a lot of experience with the Hawk 40's. In addition to mine, i have 2 others that I am currently repowering for friends. They are great boats that do not get much attention... untill you dress them up. I cannot imagine (in a reasonable price range) what I would want if I got rid of my boat. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails 82 40' Excalibur Hawk..Good or bad???-twin-700s-005.jpg   82 40' Excalibur Hawk..Good or bad???-excalibur_023-large-.jpg   82 40' Excalibur Hawk..Good or bad???-interior-011-large-.jpg