another "thinking about pro-charging" thread

Notices

another "thinking about pro-charging" thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 815 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by baronbob
I respect Smitty and all of his experience, but believe me in this application if I had stayed stock @ 3 PSI (maybe even 5) I would have an extra 100HP in a stock engine (running today). I went 6PSI Merlin heads bigger cam, roller rockers, the wrong pistons, exhaust but stock injectors with 3 re-programs. I also blew the drive. The second time around, I put in blower pistons up-graded the injectors all the rest of the goodies and a Dustin Whipple in-the-boat-tune. Runs great now!! Hopefully in the future as well. Tyler Crocket has taken many customers down this road properly and he will tune in your boat.
I agree with you, IF a guy buys a m-1sc and uses the lowest boost pulleys and NEVER takes it a step further he could get out of it fairly cheap. I have actually met 1 guy who did this,it was on a boat exactly like mine,a 272 baja,it ran about 73 mph,chine walked real bad because his wife wouldn't let him buy the hyd steering. Everyone else I have ever talked to has always took it a step further until it becomes quite the ordeal,like in mine and your case ,I have fun with it,everytime someone ask though I give them the straight up truth so they know what they will probably end up doing. 7 years ago when I first bought my m-3sc and still had a 502 I could have never imagined I would end up where I am today with it,Smitty
Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is that saying?? the road to hell is paved with good intentions?? hehehe

my plan is to keep it pretty mild -- i just want in the 75-78mph range. I was very content with that in my pantera.

if i wanted to go much faster -- i don't know that i'd want to do it in a PQ any how -- i'd probably go back to a pantera or some other true deep v.

thanks for all the advice guy's -- i haven't pulled the trigger ye t-- but i'm looking to do this over the winter.

mark
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 815 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by CHAOS REIGNS
what is that saying?? the road to hell is paved with good intentions?? hehehe

my plan is to keep it pretty mild -- i just want in the 75-78mph range. I was very content with that in my pantera.

if i wanted to go much faster -- i don't know that i'd want to do it in a PQ any how -- i'd probably go back to a pantera or some other true deep v.

thanks for all the advice guy's -- i haven't pulled the trigger ye t-- but i'm looking to do this over the winter.

mark
I'm not trying to talk you out of it or scare you,I'm just trying to make sure you realize the true cost of these mods,Smitty
Old 08-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hear you loud and clear

i just restored a 79 pantera -- two motors....numerous issues...blah blah blah... 45 grand later the boat was worth 15 grand

i'm NOT going down that road again.