Carbed 500hp lifter Failure >

Carbed 500hp lifter Failure

Notices

Carbed 500hp lifter Failure

Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carbed 500hp lifter Failure

The carbed 500hp valve spring issue has been well documented here but I want to know who has had issues with the lifters on these motors. I developed a dead miss on my starboard engine today and could hear some noise coming from the valve train. Killed it and idled in on port engine. Pulled the valve cover when I got back and found what appeared to be just a loose rocker arm. However, on closer inspection I noticed that the pushrod was sitting very low in the guide plate - like about level with the top of the guide plate. Pulled the pushrod expecting to see some damage to it. No damage found. When I bump the motor over the pushrod still moves what appears to be a comparable amount with the others on that bank (don't have a dial indicator here at the house so I am eyeballing it). Typically, when you wipe out a cam, its the lobe of the cam that fails not the base . That's what has me thinking a lifter has either collapsed or come apart. Haven't gotten the intake off yet so I am strictly speculating. Anyone else have any failures of these units and, if so, got a part number for replacement?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you're luckier than I was. I had the same thing happen to a mech roller lifter. The needle bearings failed and worked their way out of the roller. The lifter then fell down and started rubbing on the cam, ruining it Pieces of needle bearing got sucked up into the oil pump which ruined that and the lack of oil pressure almost took out the crank and rods. They were discolered from heat. Bits of metal stuck in the piston skirts and ruined the bores. In other words a total rebuild.

Take your intake off and take a look. The lifters and cam are made by Crane. I don't know the numbers but give Crane a call and they should be able to help you. Most hi po mechanics agree that the lifters and valvesprings should be replaced around 300 hrs. The cam profile is a lot harder on vavetrain parts than the one in a black motor
Old 08-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Registered

Gee, thanks for the moral support PatriYacht! Just kidding! Yeah, I was thinking the same thing in the back of my mind. If the axle bearings or roller failed on the lifter and it came apart at that point, naturally the cam is ruined and no telling what collateral damage was subsequently caused. I'm just holding out hope that the spring inside the lifter may have failed letting the pushrod fall down into the lifter body (fingers crossed). I've got a sinking feeling that it isn't going to be that easy though. One good thing is that the oil pressure was still strong and the oil temp was good right up until the time I shut it off. I'll know more soon.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Donald, contact RMBuilder for solutions to lifter problems. He can help you.

Good Luck.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Registered

The oil filter caught all of the metal so the bearings would've been ok if the oil pressure hadn't fallen off. You turned it off early so hopefully there won't be much damage. I was crossing Lake Michigan, South Haven to Chicago and didn't notice anything till I got there and slowed down.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Registered

Well, you nailed it PY. The lifter failed at the roller, just as I feared. Found a couple pieces in the valley (two pices of the roller and the axle), obviously the rest hit the pan or somewhere in between. However, when the roller disintegrated and the lifter body fell down onto the cam, it flared the sides of the lifter out so that it won't lift up through the lifter bore. I'll have to pull the cam and drop that one out through the bottom. Planned on pulling the cam anyway to check it over so it doesn't matter. It actually doesn't appear to be damaged but going to check it anyway. I'll pull the pan also and get all the schrapnel out. Good thing is I can get to everything with the engines in the boat. Not gonna touch it again til I get back from Destin on Monday but at least I know what I'm looking at now. Engines only have about 180 hours since a Carolina rebuild so the bottoms should be fine. Could have been worse!

I'll drown my sorrows tomorrow night at AJ's!!! and Friday, and Saturday, and Sunday......

Last edited by Croozin2; 08-15-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Registered

Same problem with the mushroomed lifter. Mine had the tie bar between 2 lifters. I had to get a die grinder and cut the tie bar off to push the lifter through. You can pull the pan in the boat? That sounds like a fun job.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Same problem with the mushroomed lifter. Mine had the tie bar between 2 lifters. I had to get a die grinder and cut the tie bar off to push the lifter through. You can pull the pan in the boat? That sounds like a fun job.
Yeah, being an old factory race boat it has a fairly high XD and there is plenty room under the motors. Not having a trailer yet, it would be just as much hassle trying to round up a trailer and the means to pull the motor than it would be to just knuckle under and yank the pan. We'll see how things go. I may get into the job and decide to go ahead and pull the motor. Then, of course, it's always tempting to go ahead and "freshen" BOTH motors while your in that mode. Wife will most assuredly shoot my ass if I even suggest bumping the motors up right now but hey, "sometimes you just gotta say, what the f--k?"