Never seen anything like this. >

Never seen anything like this.

Notices

Never seen anything like this.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

THanks Jim and monstaaa

I like the goldfish idea, but I think I'l get that prob thing. GOld fish won't live long in south water. But i will try it just for chittt and grins..
Jim, where can I get one ?? or do you sell it ?

Yhx
P
Old 09-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the same thing built up on mine quickly when I am in long raftups overnight. I used the boat store hull cleaner which is very diluted muratic acid. It did not work very well, I had to scrape and scrub and use fingernails. I then used A much stronger muratic acid solution from a brick company (they use it stronger to clean brick) I ended up diluting the stronger stuff about 1 to 1 with water in a spray bottle. This took it off with almost no elbow grease. A word of caution. Use a strong base (baking soda) and or a lot of water to rinse all parts that contain IRON. muratic acid will make iron rust quickly. Rinse your trailer and everything around. Even the vapors from the stronger stuff will make the iron rust. Dont do it on a concrete driveway, The acid will eat the portland cement.

After a little research I think I remember something like hull cleaner has about 2% acid, the brick cleaner is about 20% acid and 100% acid you can't buy unless your a superpower. If you did find some it would kill you like kriptonite if you looked at it from accross a room.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Registered

I have acces to industrial stuff.

THe acid I used was 40% by volume. I did use a little and worked, but I can't use it directly on the drive. OK on the props. It did help but stuff on the outdrive I can't have the acid touch anything, is still a bytch to get off. I just have to wait untill my finger nails grew back.

YOu want some acid.. lol let me know. Just kiding. But I have whole sale co. so I can get pretty much anything, with some time and effort.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Registered

happens to me at the Hyatt every time, also Clearwater, Key West, Marathon, Cabbage Key, etc. Muratic Acid will wash it away. Get a New Bottle at Home Depot. Wear Gloves

I talked to Hyatt. I got all the excuses in the world that they have new docks. GFi's etc. but I am getting the area tested.
God help Hyatt if the reading comes back as accesive curent in the water near the docks.
THe Sarasota poker runs is scheduled to be there in a few weeks. I hate to see an empty docks at the Hyatt if there is a problem. However I know they fixed the problem if there was one. Good thing that attorneys can get work orders and subpinas.
I hate to take it to that level. I would just like to see Hyatt say .. OK there was a problem.. we are sorry.. have a night on us.. and I would be pleased with the honesty, and chuck it off as chittt happens...

Honesty ??? what the fakkk is that ??? where did it go ???
Old 09-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Registered

It happened to my old boat when we went to Key West. I sprayed all of the SS parts with WD40 to protect them before I left thinking that I would have the boat in the water for about a week and this is exactly what happened to all of the parts. I don't know if that is what caused the coating, but I run my boat in salt water all of the time and have never seen it before. We had the new boat in the water for 4 days in Destin and nothing. Just a thought if you sprayed any kind of protectant on you SS it might be reacting to the salt.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Registered

I spray the acid on everything. Drives, latham steering, tabs, props, braided hoses, hull etc... It cleaned everything with no bad reactions.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Registered

Oh man... good to know. What a mess! We were discussing taking the boat up there (Sarasota Hyatt) soon. I'll have to follow this thread.

I know another poster mentioned Cabbage Key but I haven't had any problems there.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PARADOX the earlier listed # is a Mercruiser part. Any merc dealer.
It is an adapter lead to be used with a multi meter.
Jim
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Ralphy
I spray the acid on everything. Drives, latham steering, tabs, props, braided hoses, hull etc... It cleaned everything with no bad reactions.

ya have to be carefull with the acid.On the plastic parts it will bleach em out,like the black clam shell covers on the cables,on the trim tabs theres a black plastic nut on it

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

do you have zincs installed? The zincs are nuked first. If the zincs are Ok the current is probably coming from your boat.

If the zincs were nuked too, the faulty wiring was probably from the boats that surrounded you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.