Never seen anything like this. >

Never seen anything like this.

Notices

Never seen anything like this.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Never seen anything like this.

New problem. I had the boat in the water (salt) for two night.

Every Stainless part on the outdrives are totaly corroded. It's like they were in the water for 20 years. (pics to come soon)
Merchatode thing ? even the props have a heavy grey hase. It will come off with a lot of scraping. What is the best way to clean this off? Chemicals ?? ( any chemists out there??) And what will couse this? In two days/nights? at a poker run??
Old 09-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

best thing to use is Lime Away and put it in a spray bottle it helps to atomize it a bit

It will foam and rinse off You may need to wipe a bit but most will rinse off
Old 09-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me also. Brand new boat and maiden voyage was to Key West for races from Miami. Went to Key West returned to Miami. Loaded on a trailer and presto, everything was thick coated. I had to use elbo grease to remove it all. Hasn't happened again in 2 years in Texas Gulf Coast waters. Must be something in south Florida waters.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usee vinagar to demove the stuff
Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered

Thanks..
Tried vinagar, Lime away, Braso, (mtl. polisher) silver/jewelry cleaner,, calcium removal and muriatic assid. Nothing desolves this. It's like electrolilis on all the parts.

No one else had the problem. I noticed when I pulled the boat out.
Ohh.. sand paper works, but dulls anything thats was once shiny. Fittings, screws, prop, tie bar, nuts and bolts. I don't now what coused it, and how to prevent it.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

MarinMax said it's from other boats, the dock, something in the water. Electric eal. Full moon and Sun spots. But not one word about they possibly missed some electrical connection last week while did some service and testing on the boat. New fuel pumps were instaled. (high and low pressure)

Merc is aware of the problem and checking it out. No one else had the same corrosion problem around me. Some 50-60 boats. I think the merchathode system is fried by the service tech. somehow. Still have no good way to remove this chittt..
Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I get it when I go to salt water ,. the only thing I thinks it looks like a dried lawyer of salt. I used a rag and wd40 it lossened up for me .or some 0000 steel wool

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spray a light acidic solution on the dry stainless parts and watch the corrosion and lime disappear. Don't get it on your clothes, instant holes!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is most unfortunate, it was most likely caused by boat with mis wired shore power or a dock power problem. I have experienced this first hand and witnessed stainless nuts completely eroded away. A couple days more would have blistered your paint and made it look like popcorn. Most Insurance coverages exempt damage from stray current, check your policy. Unfortunately the damage is done and it will be hard to return to original condition. Replace all the little pieces that have clips or poly lock nuts. May be the marina was coverage that may help you. Does your boat have shore power? the boat that caused all the problems I witnessed had a shore power ground grounded to 12 volt ground and was tied next to our customers boat.
I'm sorry, no body deserves that.
Jim
Old 09-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered

>> MobilMercMan..
Thanks Jim. I will check on my insurance and Hyatt's.

JohnB... Strip.. THanks.. Tried acid. Limeaway. and HD industrial cchiiit.. The corrosion is to deep, and thick.
Steel wool seems to work with a lot of muscle, and wire brush. but scratches everything. Finger nails are the best, but I have non left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.