Advice on fuel pump >

Advice on fuel pump

Notices

Advice on fuel pump

Old 10-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice on fuel pump

Hey guys Im looking for some advice on mechanical fuel pump, brand and size.I am running about 565 HP carbed and I am currently running Holley red electric pumps.I dont feel the electric are very reliable so over the winter I would like to switch to mechanical.My next issue is I am running a gen 4 and a gen 5 so I need a matching pump to use on both engines.One last question is it OK to run+ a mechanical pump after the fuel filter?

Thanks Nordic95
Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best to push through a filter as pump design is not to pull but to push. Next, good pumps that I have used personally and can recommend is the Holley marine pump (coast guerd approved) and also the Carters that flow 172 GPH but the Carter is non- marine. I use it now on my 900 HP blown engine.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered

Anyone have pictures of there set up with the high performance pump and then the filter to carb.I'm just trying to get ideas.

Thanks Nordic95
Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the CV Products billet mechanical pump (Gen IV type block mount). It will work without a regulator and will support 750 HP at 6+ lbs FP and idle at 8 lbs (you want the green spring).
It is a little pricey, but this is a great piece. It is now offered in a marine verison.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Check out the CV Products billet mechanical pump (Gen IV type block mount). It will work without a regulator and will support 750 HP at 6+ lbs FP and idle at 8 lbs (you want the green spring).
It is a little pricey, but this is a great piece. It is now offered in a marine verison.
Wow they are pricey.I would need a brand that offers both gen 4 and 5,even though water pumps dont match I would like fuels pumps to be the same brand and model.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Registered

i agree with benperfected . the c.v pump is awesome and it can be mounted after the filter. i used this pump with a ramco man. fuel water filter which filters down to 1 1/2 or 2 micron with no problems. and this pump is feeding a 1200++ h.p engine.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by monstaaa
i agree with benperfected . the c.v pump is awesome and it can be mounted after the filter. i used this pump with a ramco man. fuel water filter which filters down to 1 1/2 or 2 micron with no problems. and this pump is feeding a 1200++ h.p engine.
Can I also use the same pump on a gen 5 water pump style mount?

Thanks Nordic95
Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the Gen V, you're not going to be able to run a block mounted pump.
If you want both motors rigged the same, buy a set of water pumps made for the attached fuel pump.
The stock merc fuel pump should easily be able to handle that hp. You can also use the merc stock fuel line with this.I hear you can run an aftermarket by changing the pump arms, but I've never done it.
As for a filter, Mercs fuel water separator, mounted betwen pump and tank, works pretty well as a filter.
The Weber/carter carbs also have a small screen filter at the inlet. I've seen very little material in these filters after rebuilding, even after 1000 hrs use.
Simple, stupid solution, with availale, stock parts.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Try KEPP and see what they have. They sell an upgrade kit for the Gen V sea pump mounted FP that increases the GPH. I expect they may also sell a matching Gen IV block mount FP of the same design.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Try KEPP and see what they have. They sell an upgrade kit for the Gen V sea pump mounted FP that increases the GPH. I expect they may also sell a matching Gen IV block mount FP of the same design.
Who is Kepp?

Nordic95

Quick Reply: Advice on fuel pump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.