454 magnum problems help please >

454 magnum problems help please

Notices

454 magnum problems help please

Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Griff,

I had a family problem and had to put the boat on the back burner for a while but now everything has worked itself out. I have started the boat on the hose and I am nervous to drop her in the water and put it under load. When it runs on the hose it sounds great, no ticking or anything. What would be the worse case scenario if the valves are not right?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by alamo28
Griff,

I had a family problem and had to put the boat on the back burner for a while but now everything has worked itself out. I have started the boat on the hose and I am nervous to drop her in the water and put it under load. When it runs on the hose it sounds great, no ticking or anything. What would be the worse case scenario if the valves are not right?
You'll break something

Seriously, I think you'll be fine. Just take it easy while you're testing it out and work your way up in rpm gradually with short WOT burst at first and then longer ones. If it idles smooth and there is no ticking, you should be fine. If you here a little backfire under load,either throught he carb or the exhaust, you probably have a valve that is a little too tight. I really think you should be fine though.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

Thanks Griff,

I am going to drop her in the water this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for all of your help
Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered

Cannot believe you have waited this long to get her wet. Good luck sound like you will be fine. Take it easy don't get crazy this weekend, come back home change oil and filters, while changing oil look for water in oil, and metal flakes. Check your outdrives for water before you go, check outdrives when you get back. If gas is old put some additives in to freshen it up, and some octane boost additives. You may need to adjust your carbs, thats another thread you may write after this weekend. If the motor don't run just right don't be hard headed and think running the crap out of them will fix anything. See if someone can tell you how to set your carbs on the water. I know how but I would rather an expert tell you. Very important not to lean them out to much. Take a inferred thermometer with you don't trust gauges and alarms the first time out. Take it slow and easy with hatch open, watch the motors for leaks, oil, water,gas.

Just remember FEELS LIKE THE FIRST TIME.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Skip the octane booster. Anything you get at the auto store is worthless. You would be better off to put some 91-93 octane fuel in it. try to mix in 50/50 with whats in the tank.

About the only thing you can adjust on the carb on the water is idle mixture and float level. You can change jets, but it I wouldn't do it without being at a dock.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Registered

Default did it float

well what are you waiting for tell us the good news.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Registered

I have put distributors in at 90 deg off norm 5-6 teeth? to clear fuel pressure regs on efi's with the holley stealth ram setup and to make the wiring not so cramped up, if you phase your rotor close its going to fire, get your timing light out and use it anything from -10 to +40 will idle set max timing at 32-36 deg this will get you so f 'n close its stupid.
you could put a distibutor in way the f off and as long as you phase the rotor whitch will require a long scewdriver to adjust the oil pump shaft accordingly it will run trouble free, c'mon its a machine it has no f 'n idea where it's at, it's location or weather it's two teeth off. ten degrees at idle is ten degrees at idle upside down or inside out,

I hope I helped us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

This thread is over a year old and I still don't know if his boat ever ran.

alamo28
Registered
Last Activity: 05-29-2008 10:35 AM
Old 01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Registered

Griff, LMFAO. I concur.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread gave me a headach. It did however make me once again appreciate my Father. Who I lost 9 years ago to a Heart Atack. I take a lot of things for granted like how he tought me to set ignition timing and set valve lash at the age of 14. It may not have been on a BBC but a I4, V6, V8, its the same principal.

Quick Reply: 454 magnum problems help please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.