transom water pickups >

transom water pickups

Notices

transom water pickups

Old 03-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default transom water pickups

Anyone know how much speed is scrubbed with transom mount water pickups at speeds around 100 mph?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

All depends on how deep it is. If it is above the running surface and catches the water as it rolls up off the bottom, then probably doesn't have much of an effect. If it is dragging in the water, I have heard 1-2 mph per pick-up. When we used to race hydroplanes, a speedo pickup was good for 2 mph. A speedo pickup is tiny compared to a water pickup.
Eddie
Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

So you think as much as four mph for two pickups at that speed? Ouch!!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Registered

It certainly could be, depending on their depth. But, it won't run that long without em
Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AO31
Anyone know how much speed is scrubbed with transom mount water pickups at speeds around 100 mph?
I ditched mine this year, same hull as yours, I see no use for them when I have LWP on the drives that are not in use.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
So I have 2 1" pick ups, one on each side of the prop. I was thinking of eliminating one and going to a dual stage water pump. One stage for the engine and one for the intercooler.

If using one, which side of th prop do you guys recommend it be on?

Not sure if you are aware of my situation, but something is preventing me from getting any real speed out of my boat!!
I would say that if you are turning your prop right hand, then get rid of the right side pu. If turning left, get rid of the left pu. It may or may not affect the water to the prop, depending on how close to the prop it is. If the prop is turning right hand, then the pu on the right could be disrupting the water to the prop, as the blades enter the water on that side. That is why I say to get rid of that side pu. It all depends on how close it is.
Regardless of how deep the pu is, I can't see it being worth more than a couple of mph.

Eddie
Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I would say that if you are turning your prop right hand, then get rid of the right side pu. If turning left, get rid of the left pu. It may or may not affect the water to the prop, depending on how close to the prop it is. If the prop is turning right hand, then the pu on the right could be disrupting the water to the prop, as the blades enter the water on that side. That is why I say to get rid of that side pu. It all depends on how close it is.
Regardless of how deep the pu is, I can't see it being worth more than a couple of mph.

Eddie
Absolutely correct, and another advantage in eliminating the pickup on the right with the right turn prop is that the pickups cause drag and drag causes lift that will typically cause the boat to lean a little on the left side at high speeds. So if you eliminate the need to use the tabs to correct for the lean you could pick up a little speed also.