Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water Pressure Gauges - Where to tap into system? >

Water Pressure Gauges - Where to tap into system?

Notices

Water Pressure Gauges - Where to tap into system?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Water Pressure Gauges - Where to tap into system?

I'm installing mechanical water pressure guages and need to know the best place to tap into the system. As I see it I have three possible choices.

1. Engine block drain plug
2. Intake manifold
3. Seawater pump housing.

I have the two-piece seawater pump housing with the 1/8" plug. I thought this might be a cleaner install and would give the quickest indication of a loss of pressure.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If you boat in rivers or sandy areas then tap the intake. If the water you boat in is pretty clean, then the block drain.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Registered

Thanks Griff - we boat nearly exclusively at LOTO. What's the advantage of the block drain vs. the intake. I've read all the posts where alot of guys had issue with the hose clogging from not only sand or silt, but from specs of rust flaking off the inside of the block and causing problems.

What's your thoughts on right at the seawater pump? Any location more consistant pressure than the other?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy Smokes
Thanks Griff - we boat nearly exclusively at LOTO. What's the advantage of the block drain vs. the intake. I've read all the posts where alot of guys had issue with the hose clogging from not only sand or silt, but from specs of rust flaking off the inside of the block and causing problems.

What's your thoughts on right at the seawater pump? Any location more consistant pressure than the other?
Hey BIG Daddy drill & tap the crossover 5 min deal and your done good luck
Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

You want to get the pressure reading from the engine. The seapump may not be an accurate reading as the water will have to pass through all the coolers first.

Mine on the Pantera was in the block drain. I never had a problem with it plugging at LOTO. I would get plugged pretty easily boating on the river here. On my AT they are in the intake. They never plugged up last year at all.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the thermostat housing?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
You want to get the pressure reading from the engine. The seapump may not be an accurate reading as the water will have to pass through all the coolers first.

Mine on the Pantera was in the block drain. I never had a problem with it plugging at LOTO. I would get plugged pretty easily boating on the river here. On my AT they are in the intake. They never plugged up last year at all.
I think I'll try the intake manifold. The removable plug on the backside between the carb and the distributor is right into the water jacket isn't it?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

I don't know, it will depend on what intake manifold you have. My 502mpi's are plumbed into the front of the intake.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll try the intake manifold. The removable plug on the backside between the carb and the distributor is right into the water jacket isn't it?
Like griff said it depends on the manifold but it is probaby not in the water passsage. I would plumb it in the front of the manifold.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I run mine off the headers, where the water enters at the bottom.