Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Kind of bad luck to day, or maybe not?? >

Kind of bad luck to day, or maybe not??

Notices

Kind of bad luck to day, or maybe not??

Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kind of bad luck to day, or maybe not??

I took a test drive on my boat to day.
(Formula 242 SS 454 330 hp)
During the ride my waterpump brooke down, I did not notice
until I saw smoke and the fact that the temprature was much
to high I turn of the engine anothe boat was so kind and helped me back to my port.

When the engine had cooled down I started it and let it run for 30 sec. Every thing sound ok and I could not notice that anything had broken. Of course I need to repair the water pump, maybe change to a new one. I wil think I drove with out any cooling for about 4-5 min before I noticed the smoke
and the high tempratur at the meater, and stopped the engine

What do I need to check?

Should I change the oil it was very hot?

I happy for any tip

Maybe I was actually very lucky today, it could have gone much worse, couldent it?
Attached Thumbnails Kind of bad luck to day, or maybe not??-6.jpg  
Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Monaco20
Maybe I was actually very lucky today, it could have gone much worse, couldent it?
You may still have issues. I would definitely change the oil. Other than that, you'll just have to assess performance and keep an eye on things like oil consumption.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
You may still have issues. I would definitely change the oil. Other than that, you'll just have to assess performance and keep an eye on things like oil consumption.

Maybe this is a stupid question, But I do not know to much about engines (big or small blocks)

But if it had went realy wrong out there today I would not have been able to start the engine and also the fact that it sound ok ??? Make me optimistic in the way that nothing realy
serious wer broken, or am I wrong ?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could have popped a head gasket though just be careful till you know for sure everything is okay.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that a picture of the motor from Today. If it is you didn't run it to long with out water because the exhaust hoses would be burnt off it. But like the other said put a new pump on it and monitor the engine.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MrCIG
Is that a picture of the motor from Today. If it is you didn't run it to long with out water because the exhaust hoses would be burnt off it. But like the other said put a new pump on it and monitor the engine.

Good Luck

Mark
The picture is not from today, the exhaust hoses did not burn of, but they expended, specially the right one. They went down again, but they do not have exactly the same look as on the picture. they lokking like they have had a contraction when the engine coled down
Old 05-20-2008, 06:36 PM

When you get the engine hot, the pistons gall on the cylinder walls as the clearances become zero. It can do everything from scoring the cylinders and rings and scuffing the pistons (less compression and oil usage) up to cracking piston skirts which will lead to eventual major failure. Or you may be OK.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
When you get the engine hot, the pistons gall on the cylinder walls as the clearances become zero. It can do everything from scoring the cylinders and rings and scuffing the pistons (less compression and oil usage) up to cracking piston skirts which will lead to eventual major failure. Or you may be OK.

Thanks for the info Chris

What would you have done in my situation?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the others said if you didn't melt the exhaust hose you might have got lucky. In addition to what Chris mentioned it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the spark plugs after it sits over night and make sure no what has made its way in to the cylinders. A few days time will tell how lucky you got. Good luck. If all checks out good add new riser gaskets to the list of things to do.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:44 PM

Not much else you can do. You're not the first guy to lose a pump when running. It's hard to maintain good gauge-scanning discipline running in rough water. I have my own homebrew system- I use a backup of idiot light switches on the oil and fuel pressure and the oil and water temp. They're rigged to a single solid-state horn through diodes. If I lose something, it beeps.

Quick Reply: Kind of bad luck to day, or maybe not??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.