Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone Ever Buy Boat Long Distance >

Anyone Ever Buy Boat Long Distance

Notices

Anyone Ever Buy Boat Long Distance

Old 05-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I flew down to Florida to look at a Larry Smith Scarab that was suposed to be in excellent condition. Got there and it was a POS . Flew home dissapointed but happy I made the trip. Bought my Velocity 1600 miles away. Drove down to look at it and bring it home. I was not as clean as I was told, but with some polishing it looked great. Definately go look at it and drive it!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wel! I took my similiar gamble like you are taliking about out for the 1st time this weekend! I asked here for a good surveyor....good a good recommendation. All is well! I still picked the boat up and checked it out myself though.

Originally Posted by awsomethunder
Thinking about buying a boat 1300 miles away from me.was gonna have the boat surveyed and then shipped.any tips someone can give me on how to go about this.very concerned about paying out 50g and not seeing it until it hits my driveway.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

It all boils down to "Buyers are liars and sellers are too"
Old 05-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Had pictures and survey in hand. Drove 2900 miles. Boat looked good and was as described. The problem was the boat had 3 owners and the title was still in the first owners name. I should have taken a flight to see it. Trip was not a total loss. Got to see some relatives and a Penn State football game. Cost me allot of drive time though. Bought another boat 1200 miles away but flew to see and test drive it before sealing the deal. Always, in my opinion go to see it yourself. Then make the deal.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Registered

Default Go and see the boat!

I bout a boat, it was located in OK sent a "trusted" surveyor to check it out. The survey was great, the boat cost me big $$$, transom had a 1/4 bow in it, then transom assemblies leaked, the drives were reversed so when you put the boat in forward you were actually running in reverse (transmissions) blew the transmissions. The list goes on however I'm the only person to put out any money. Oh yea the boat looked great, one of the best cig's I've seen!!!