Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hyd steering presure adjust at idel? >

Hyd steering presure adjust at idel?

Notices

Hyd steering presure adjust at idel?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

smaller for the pump i presume... because it would have to be bigger for the crank... and thats my/our point... when the pulley stack on the crank got changed for the blower, my/our guess is that the crank pully got smaller at the same time somehow...
Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would drill out the fitting, its easy to take out.Here is some picks of a 500efi pump
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...power+sterring

I might have a extra orifice fitting out of a pump I could measure if wanted ?

On my Scarab with the older design pump,Mayfair steering it was slow to turn at idle, the blower purged about 600rpm,so on the down cycle it was hard to turn. I had compared the orifice hole size to my 70 Chevelle, and the marine pump had a larger hole

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Drill it 11/64....per Imco
Old 06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Registered

Ok, the boats at the cottage and I'm not back there till Firday night. I'll look and see if I can get that fitting out without too much disasemebly.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
Here is a link to an article about this modification...

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html

Doug
I just read that again, lookslike I only need to drill out the one outter fitting. The inner fitting increases the presure. I only want to increase the low rpm flow. This is sounding easier.

Birdog, what do you mean by "....per imco" ? Is this what they recomend? I guess I could just try and call them.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
No same pulley, same RPM at idel, Full Hydraulic steering.

I've had the problem since the supercharger was put on.
Don't see how the SC has anything to with this problem. Actually, if the rpm and pulley speed is unchanged, I can't see anything causing this problem. PS lines not kinked during the reinstall?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"US1 Fountain" is right. If nothing else has changed, something is wrong. Anything that may have changed should be checked. If there is a filter, replace it. If something else is restricting the flow, opening up the fitting may not help.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Registered

I'm not posative the main crank pulley wasn't changed. The supercharger pulley sits infront of the main pulley, so it shouldn't have been changed. But I havn't confirmed this.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Registered

Here is a pic I took last year after the install. Kinda hard to see, but it looks like the original pulley (which is blue) is still there. I'm going to send an E-Mail to Dustin and ask if there is a new main pulley with this kit.

That would explain everything.
Attached Thumbnails Hyd steering presure adjust at idel?-lost-pics-007-oso.jpg  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have the same set up as me ,Mine idles around 750-800 if its alittle lower that 750 you can feel its a little stiff, But it only when I'm parking it.Being your is a single your turning it a lot more. I found that I had around 150-200psi restriction we determined it had to be a hose end, I thought it was causing a hard to turn steering and it ended up being the plastic bushing and bearing in the Marine machine hub,Falcon is very knowledgeable on this, he and other posted a bunch of info on my thread.

heres a thread on the hose....http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...hydraulic+hose

I have had 3 go bad so more than likely thats were its coming apart on the inside and could of caused the restriction .I was told around 50psi is around norm on the free flow of the fluid, The gage ckecker I made up is easy.#6 gage adapter and a nos gage,put it inline were the filter is just for the test, bench testing it would get up to 1500 making it build pres, by crimping the hose, useinga 1/2 drill if you crimp the hose all the way dead heading it will stop the drill and and spin back,tuff on the wrist.

Also you can make a union for the filter which would bypass the filter to se if it helps , The filter element is a wire mesh , cleanable, I didn't see any restriction in mine,hope some of this helps,Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Hyd steering presure adjust at idel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.