Notices

reversion or manifold problem

Old 06-22-2008, 06:57 PM
ak
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reversion or manifold problem

hey guys,
I took my emi thunder manifolds off today after putting about 4.5 hours on my new 509ci engine,i took them off to remove my valve covers to readjust my valves.When i removed the left side manifold from the head,i noticed little water dopplets in each exhaust runner on the manifold and also a "clean"spot where it looks like pressured water was,i removed the other side and it was dry and carbon black looking,no problems.We tested the manifold for a internal leak and as of right now there is no signs of a leak,i did buy these used and i would say they are 5-6 years old,what is this?not reversion i hope because the other side is dry,cam specs are 606 and 617 lift,236 and 244 duration on a 110 intake center line,it is a custom grind from comp,please lets hear some input?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok I will throw in my 2cents. If only one side has water drops I would look at the the manifold.

Reversion - how does it run at idle. Does it load up. It easy to tell. What color is the oil.
I had to change a 110 centerline cam once because of reversion.

Thats to bad you have to remove the exhaust to get at the valve covers. I am running IMCO manifolds with tall valve covers and can still take mine off without removing anything.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have removed my valve covers before without removing the manafolds. You need a 1/4" swivel drive. One thing that helps is I installed studs instead of bolts. I have the EMI exhaust and have had great luck with them. Do you have long or short risers? Short risers with that cam will give you problems. I have the long risers, with that I had to remove the silent choice. Good luck with your problem.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Registered

If it looks like a leak, and it is wet like a leak, it's a leak.

The clean area is the dead give away water turning to steam and it is steam cleaning your manifold at that spot.

Last edited by B one; 06-23-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Registered

Although I have never seen it discussed here, I have had reversion issues when I have had valve train trouble allowing the valves to go out of adjustment (loose due to slightly bent pushrods from valve float). Corrected valve train trouble, and upon re-inspection, signs of reversion disappeared.