Breaking Roller Rockers!

Notices

Breaking Roller Rockers!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:38 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frank,

While I haven't recommended or used these rockers, I am familiar with the issues you are experiencing. It is not a setup, stack, or geometry related failure. It is a warranty issue. If you would like some assistance in obtaining a RMA slip to return these items, feel free to call me. Attached photo is of a Ford Pro Magnum rocker with a similar failure pattern.

Regards,

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Breaking Roller Rockers!-promag.jpg   Breaking Roller Rockers!-promag2.jpg  
Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In late 2007, I had major engine damage due to the total failure of a complete set of solid roller lifters from a major manufacture. We did all the home work/analysis and then got the manufacture to finally admit that they had a problem. They said they would "help" then ignored all our follow-up calls and would not communicate. In the end, they wrote me a check for $18,000+. Unless the manufacture can convince you that they are past the defective rocker issues, I would move on to a proven make/brand endorsed by a pro and not risk a complete engine failure....even if they replaced them for free.
You are really lucky the failed rockers were the extent our your damage.
I would have confidence buying whatever roller rockers Bob recommends.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

I ran Crane std body gold rockers for 3 issue free years,switched to comp pro magnums and then had repeated failures of rocker nuts cracking due to improper heat treat (very brittle). The last one wadded up a pushrod and wrecked a pair of lifters and my vacation,switched to arp nuts for the rest of that season with no more failures.Switched to T&D shaft system the next year and have been problem free. I don't run the kind of spring pressures your running but I no longer trust the quality control of comp cams rocker components,I would switch brands if I were you,Smitty
Old 07-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a Comp Hydraulic flat lifter break into pieces on the dyno the second the motor fired. No one I know has ever heard of or seen this. There's always inconsistencies from any company that produces mass quantities but lately I've had problems with pushrods, cams ground wrong, rockers, and my exploded lifter that cost a customer a long weekend and me a lot of money. Is Comp goin down hill?

sorry for the hijack, just needed to vent
Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

In my eyes Comp has gone down hill with lots of things. Rocker arm breakage, adjuster nut breakage, etc is not uncommon.

Last big thing breaking over there is there beehive springs. Yes, the ones that they heavily advertise as being the best things ever. They originally used springs made by PAC and then switched to crap. You'll see broken beehive problems on most performance sites. The fix is to go back to PAC's. BTW: A single spring set-up that breaks usually causes more engine damage as there is no other spring (like in duals) to help hold valve up when one breaks. DOh !

Back to rocker arms - Comp has been anti-aluminum for ever, until now. Did they give in ? Did they realize many of their steel one's broke ? Or did they really discover a "revolutionary" process ? I know which of those I pick. Doh.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:41 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova
Spring info from AFR's site ---1.625 O.D. Roller Dual Valve Spring with dampener,
255 lbs. on seat, .750" maximum lift
Are you sure ?

On a Hydraulic roller set-up ? I know of going 170lbs-180lbs or a little more seat, but 250 ? What's the psi at your max cam lift ?

.750" max lift means there's some more (over .750") before actual bind and your running around .630" or so ?

Interesting.

Last edited by SB; 07-01-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not run into this failure, I ran a set of these in a jet boat engine with no issues, but like one other post...looks like you have a bad oiling issue, major heat stress looks to me from that coloring. do you have the lifter oil restricted ? have you run it with the valve covers off to see oil flow ? could even have a cam bearing installed wrong..happened to me by a machine shop...Rob
Old 07-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Registered

Well if you look at the cam card for the Crane 741 cam you are about 100psi over recommended. I would fix that problem first. Not a Happy valvetrain !
Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Registered

Also you might want to check you lifters at this point. I am surprised they did no explode.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here's an update. I checked my spring pressures and I'm at 160ish pounds off the seat. That's the best I can tell with the moroso pressure checker that goes over the roller rocker. Sorry I missinformed you guys. I just took the spring pressures off of AFR's site and forgot that I specifed what springs I wanted when I ordered the heads.
I got the new Crane golds and I'm putting them on now. I've talked with a few engine builders today and there seems to be a theme here. These latest Pro Magnums that are off the production line are all having problems! Comp is not admitting it but they are replacing the entire set for me. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem, but it sucks that I bought what I thought was a quality rocker so I wouldn't have any issues and here I am breaking them left and right!
I'll be sure to report back after I run it with the Crane Golds.

Again sorry for the mis-information about the valve spring pressure. But either way the roller rockers should hold up no matter what springs I'm running.

I don't think I have an oiling issue since there is oil actuall dripping out of the bearings on the rockers right now. The heat from the rocker cam after it broke. You can see the piece that broke off is the original color so that tells me it broke before any heat cam into play. Once the rocker broke it was canted off to the side and rubbing the top and bottom of the polylock which caused the heat that your seeing.

I'll report back tomorrow after I run it with the new rockers.

Thanks for all the help guys,
Frank

Quick Reply: Breaking Roller Rockers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.