Breaking Roller Rockers!

Notices

Breaking Roller Rockers!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frank,

The AFR Hydraulic Roller spring option sets up initially at 170# seat force and 460# open. If they are checking @ 160# seat after initial run in, given the margin of error on the Moroso checker, you are well within tolerance. We have run a number of AFR packages with the HR spring option and they show only marginal sag after 150+ hours.

To be clear, I do not use nor do I recommend this particular rocker arm, my suggestion regarding the RMA slip was due to the fact that it will be your only recourse available that will provide you with any compensation. I mentioned this as a warranty issue as yours does not appear to be an isolated instance. With a new set of 16 rockers and Polylocks you can place them on racing junk or Ebay an attempt to recover some of your loss.

The root cause of the failure is the stress fracture in the body, while the heat discoloration is a collateral damage as a result of excessive load bias from the trunnion opposite the original failure point.

Prior to installing the Cranes, be sure to examine the studs and guide plates for any damage. A stress riser on a stud may cause a secondary failure.

Bob
Old 07-01-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This site is invaluable. I have had good luck with those rockers and was about to order six sets. Not now.

As always, Bob is an incredible resource.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:13 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

LS1Nova-

With the new rockers make sure that you clean out all the grease out of trunnion bearings and roller tip. This grease is for corrosion control and holding bearings during assembly - not too good of a lubricating grease. Then put in a container of oil. Let sit for a while and before installing rotate the trunnions in the oil to make sure bearings are bathed in oil. Some people do this, others don't - those that don't are usually those who did not read the instructions or where not given the instructions to read.

Also check to see if rear valve cover bolt bosses will touch two of the rocker arms. Sometimes this is an issue, sometimes not. If so, a little grinding on rocker will fix it.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up SB! I did give them a douching with brake clean then hit them with the air gun and dunked them in oil before they went on.
The new Crane golds have the corners cut off already for the clearance issue you were talking about. Pretty cool.

I just got in from running it on the hose and all is good so far. The only difference I can tell is that the aluminum rockers seem to have a little more of the sewing machine sound compared to the comps.

I'm going to try to take it out tomorrow night and give it a good run. I'll report back with the results.

Frank
Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered

Here's a few pix of the new Crane Golds with the corners cut.
Attached Thumbnails Breaking Roller Rockers!-dsc03368-medium-.jpg   Breaking Roller Rockers!-dsc03369-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Registered

This is great!!! I just got back from ripping up and down the river. I ran the boat at 5800 about 6 different times and all is good so far. This is the first time I've been able to get on it without having a broken rocker when I get back to the dock! Actually I ran my best mph with these particular props too. I'll confirm it next time I go out, but I'm confident this issue is resolved.

Again thanks everyone for the input and suggestions!
Frank
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear it Frank!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered

Boyahhh ! good deal Frank !
Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Good deal. Glad it worked out.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Registered

Just thought I'd report back. I took the boat out again and put some time on it. No issues to report besides a small oil leak from my dipstick tube at the pan. I'm very happy to have this rocker issue resolved! F---in Comp Pro Magnums!! I'll never make that mistake again!

Quick Reply: Breaking Roller Rockers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.