Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What makes a good V-bottom? >

What makes a good V-bottom?

Notices

What makes a good V-bottom?

Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know of a Velocity that is sitting out of the water anywhere around me? I'm not looking to buy anything right now, just more looking to learn. The engineer in me is never going to just "use" the boat to go boating. That much I know of myself.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Besides everything previously mentioned the X dimension is very important. If the prop is running too deep, trim response will be poor and the boat will run wet, (too big a footprint).

At speed wake should be breaking at or behind the helm. Maybe a Bravo "shortie" will help.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
24*deadrise!

I also like the ride of a 38 TG and Formula with steps.

The stepped bigger (42- 47' Fountains) are fine.
Seems like pretty much everything has 24 deg deadrise. DIfference seems to be in how much pad.

I'm also wondering if steps are even necessary in a boat that small? They obviously help a great deal on the bigger boats you mention, but do they do anything on a fast, small boat that only runs on the last three feet anyway?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Besides everything previously mentioned the X dimension is very important. If the prop is running too deep, trim response will be poor and the boat will run wet, (too big a footprint).

At speed wake should be breaking at or behind the helm. Maybe a Bravo "shortie" will help.
What does that mean "wake should be breaking at or behind the helm"?

The x-dim or more importantly the distance of the prop shaft from the bottom of the boat was another question I'm looking at: If you're going to run a modern "normal" 4 blade prop (Like a bravo1) how far would you put it below the hull bottom? I assume the kind of water you run in plays a factor in this. You obviously don't want the prop coming out of the water on every wave.

How far below does velocity put their props? Anyone know?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The X on my outlaw is a makes-me-sick-to-my-stomach 7"
I'm currently working to improve that somewhat.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a bad pic ( only one I have) of the bottom of my 26 Corsa. If you click on the pic and enlarge it you can see how wide the strakes are. The bottom strakes end a few feet before the transom. I set my X dimension at 18 1/4". That puts my drive shaft around 3 1/2" below the keel. This hull runs extremely well in the rough.
Attached Thumbnails What makes a good V-bottom?-corsa%2520002%2520%2528large%2529.jpg  
Old 07-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered
VIP Member

[QUOTE=bcarpman;2631597]What does that mean "wake should be breaking at or behind the helm"?

When you are on plane and driving, look over the side and see where the wake is coming off the hull. If it is forward of the helm, you may be running the hull too wet. If you can't trim the outdrive enough to pull the wake aft, chances are the prop is too low or you are getting too much stern lift.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jdub
Here is a bad pic ( only one I have) of the bottom of my 26 Corsa. If you click on the pic and enlarge it you can see how wide the strakes are. The bottom strakes end a few feet before the transom. I set my X dimension at 18 1/4". That puts my drive shaft around 3 1/2" below the keel. This hull runs extremely well in the rough.
They, (Corsa), obviously were very influenced by the 28' Cigarette!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdub
thanks

3.5 inches? Wow, I think I'm about 12 inches. Doesn't that put part of the prop out of the water? Is it a surfacing prop?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would add that the boat needs to be "still" with 2-3 degrees to bow lift...ideal balance. Nail this balance with the perfect X and an average production hull with a straighten/flat bottom can make amazing speed with superior hull efficiency. Reggie spends more $ on dialing in the right set up on Fountain's production boats than most.

Quick Reply: What makes a good V-bottom?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.