MSD are they improving them yet????? >

MSD are they improving them yet?????

Notices

MSD are they improving them yet?????

Old 06-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 283 Likes on 137 Posts

i have ignition problems and think it is related to the box or distrib. but it is intermident. when the box goes does it just fail or still run but break up at high rpms?????
Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine just died..... simple test w/a jumper wire. go to MSD site on
how to test..

Randy
Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
Mine just died..... simple test w/a jumper wire. go to MSD site on
how to test..

Randy
beaware that just because you do this test does not mean the box is good.i just went through the same deal w/my boat.after changing the cap[it was really burned up],and the rotor and pick-up.i changed the box.......and it runs.i did the msd test.it had spark.only thing i can figure is it did not have enough spark to fire all eight of the plugs.i always had good luck w/msd products up untill now.it should tell you something if all your boating buddys tell you to carry a spare
Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just replaced another MSD box (3rd one). It worked intermittently, then failed completely. The jumper wire test mentioned by Randy is easy.

Atlantic Speed and Doug Herbert seem to have competitive pricing.

I didn't know about the noise filter (MSD 8830): thanks!
Due

Last edited by Dueclaws; 06-22-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Registered

I have about 3500.00 worth of msd in my pro mod car, have to keep spare coils, boxes and a mag for when it goes "poof"
But the 7al in the boat been fine for 3.5 years so far
gone thru about 5 of the 6 boxes
Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had some issues with my ignition this time around and Pat from http://techwestracing.com/ rebuilt my box. Now the Blue boxes are potted so they can't be fixed, but the red ones can be upgraded to better/matched transistors. Some of the capacitors will wimp out and Pat changes them all to bring it up to the old standards. He knows ignitions and still likes the MSD.. You can get noise in the primary of the box and cause problems. Give Pat a call, if you can reach him, and tell him the symtoms. He can tell you what might be failing in your blue box.. but can't fix it, because of the potting.. The Nascar ones have a coating to keep them water resistant, and he can repair those.
Dick
Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks guys. it usually runs pretty good until it gets hot. then when running hard it breaks up and i loose rpms for a second or two, then it is fine for a couple seconds, then repeat, etc..........
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

also dont have a blue box, mine is the red 6200 box....
Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered

Got a blown blue box in my buddys Hustler???? What is the part numbers of the blue boxes? they any more durable?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Give Pat a call at TechWest, he can test and fix the red ones..

The blue ones in my opinion are no different than the red ones, just cant be fixed because they are potted (filled with epoxy). They are USCG approved, so no one can tell you to run a red on a boat. I believe they have the same components inside. MSD is using cheaper components in this day and age and they will fail and cause problems. But the wiring of the ignition is critical also.. You don't want to get secondary voltage induced into the primary side. Or any noise for that matter induced into the primary can cause problems.
But if you have a setup that works and then starts to act up.. something has changed.. componet failure or a noise problem.
I was seeing my timing jump 90* on my new motor and it ended up being plug wires.. Not sure how or why, but when I put a new set on, the problem went away. They all tested good with the ohm meter.
Hope that helps.
Dick

Quick Reply: MSD are they improving them yet?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.