Power Steering Pump?? >

Power Steering Pump??

Notices

Power Steering Pump??

Old 03-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the Hynautic system be used with a Char Lynn helm?
Old 03-12-2002, 07:21 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Garry if you look for outboard set ups that is going to be your ticket. The hynautic is good. My buddy has it on the boat we raced and also his pleasure cruiser. It is definatly more work to turn the wheel but the system does work well. I am fairly sure you will be able to run your current hub on the system. There is plenty of fluid in there to run your external rams as they are the same size as an outboard. Like I said this is orriginally designed for outboards due to the fact that you have no pump to run the sytem. So look around I am sure that EVERY steering manufacturer makes something for you.

Jon
Old 03-12-2002, 09:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I talked to IMCO at the LA show a few years ago about using the outboard system on an IO. They told me their system wouldn't work because of too torque from the prop being much farther back from the steering pivot point compared to an outboard.

You might try calling them or some of the other suppliers.

I would love to get rid of the PS pump. Does anyone know how to get a hold of Hynautic?
Old 03-13-2002, 07:44 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

The pump-less systems like Hynautic, Capilano etc are great for outboards and other applications with low to medium steering loads. The good news is that they are simple to install and have no feedback to the wheel, meaning that if you let go of the wheel the cylinders are locked.

The problem is that the effort required to turn the wheel goes up with the load on the cylinders as the pressure is being supplied by your arms. With a Char Lynn (stock cable system too) system the helm is acting as a control valve to the high pressure (about 1800 PSI) fluid from the engine driven pump so the effort is constant aside from some issues at low idle speeds when the pump is not putting out enough fluid.

The pump takes a couple of HP, not enough to notice at the prop but enough that an electric motor to supply adequete oil is pretty big. The pressure tank on the Hynautic system is there so that you do not need a gravity feed reservoir.

I have run both, and if a Char Lynn system is in the budget I think you would like it better on a big twin set up.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I am replacing the Hynautic helm unit I have in my cat for a powered unit. I am adding a power steering pump to each engine. The manual Hynautic helm works but it is very, very stiff on my boat, cat with twin speedy 3's. It takes a lot of muscle to move the wheel. Maybe with a different helm unit it would be easier.

I called Hynautic and asked them what I could do to make the steering easier, I gave them my helm unit and they told me to put on a bigger steering wheel. I was told the helm unit I have is really meant for work boats with big steering wheels.

I have a manual Hynautic helm unit for sale if anyone is interested. From my experience I would not recommend a manual system on a high horsepower twin I/O setup.

mike
Old 03-13-2002, 12:53 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Wow ... excelent replies ... OSO does it again

Where else can someone get this much info from qualified and experienced people in one day?? You've made me comfortable that my decision will be an educated one. I am going to replace the steering pump. But I am going to use one of the pumps with out the tank and use a remote tank(they look cool).

Thanks

here's a link to something:

http://www.seastarsteering.com