T-Bolt 5 to T-Bolt 4 ignition?

Notices

T-Bolt 5 to T-Bolt 4 ignition?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 PM
HBO
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Bolt 5 to T-Bolt 4 ignition?

I have a "new to me" boat with a 454/330 and TRS. Previous owner got rid of the points and installed a T-Bolt V distributor and ignition. I don't believe it ever had the correct module and/or the module is messed up......OR it's not working because of the lack of a knock sensor on the engine. I think he was having the same problems I am having now, it's flaky.

Anyway, I timed it to 8* BTDC and it idled good and seemed to rev up good on the trailer. Put it in the water today and it seemed to run right for a while but has a miss at 4000 RPM and now it won't even idle, just runs rough and stalls. It's almost as if there is water in the fuel. Which there may be, but this is definitely ignition related.

So, my question is....can I change out the ignition module with my Wellcraft's T-Bolt IV ignition? It's a '92 454/300 and I know the ignition is good on that boat. Should it basically be plug and play, hook up all the wires and time it with the current distributor? Do I have to set advance timing too?

Thanks, I'm pretty green when it comes to ignition stuff, especially the T-bolt system. I would eventually like to change it all out with an MSD Dizzy but this option is FREE!

Did find this link, but I'm still a tad confused. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...erbolt-iv.html

I just need to get rid of my current module and knock sensor and wire up the T-bolt IV module using the same harness, correct? Can I mount the T-bolt IV module on the dist. cap like the T-bolt V was mounted?

Last edited by HBO; 01-30-2009 at 06:28 PM.