496 Transom Soot After Reflash >

496 Transom Soot After Reflash

Notices

496 Transom Soot After Reflash

Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Transom Soot After Reflash

I am using 91 pump gas, and have experienced much more transom soot after Whipple Stage #2 flash. Before the flash I had no soot. Now at the end of the day my boat is completely covered. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this, and if they had a remedy for the problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drmkaw
I am using 91 pump gas, and have experienced much more transom soot after Whipple Stage #2 flash. Before the flash I had no soot. Now at the end of the day my boat is completely covered. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this, and if they had a remedy for the problem. Thanks for your help.
Mine has no Wipple but yes it has the soot/black crap all over the back. best remedy I've found is called soap and water (230ish hours) done it since i've had it
Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did the reflash? Dustin is on the board send him a PM and ask him. He usually gets right back with you.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered

Yeah I talked to Dustin this morning, he thought it was unusal as he sets it real lean. Just thought I would see if any members had experienced the same problem, or if it is another problem I should be looking at. The only other mod was the K&N and the increase in octane from 87 to 91. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

You should go back to the 87or 89 octane and see if any knock develops or shows up on the Guardian ECM system. Usually 87 is adequate for these 496's unless Dustin's program has kicked in a bunch more timing advance, which I doubt. Remember higher octane fuel burns slower generally to help control knock and if it burns slow a lot will go out the exhaust unburned or partially and poorly burned and soot can increase.
Remember though that a lot of todays new gasoline blends have a lot of alcohol additives and such blended in them and they tend to result in very black soot in the exhaust and out the exhaust. Just run your finger in the tail pipe of most newer cars and you'll see what I mean and these are running on closed loop O2 systems with super lean air fuel mixtures.
I doubt with a lot of todays gasolines you can get a really clean exhaust especially when you consider a lot of todays performance boats have intergrated transoms that really create a lot of negative pressure behind the boat as well as trap a lot of exhaust at the back of the boat, especially when idling a lot.
Another thing I know is that when boaters run our Raylar kits with our quick burn chamber aluminum cylinder heads, the fuel burns quicker and more completely and the soot levels go way down.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
You should go back to the 87or 89 octane and see if any knock develops or shows up on the Guardian ECM system. Usually 87 is adequate for these 496's unless Dustin's program has kicked in a bunch more timing advance, which I doubt. Remember higher octane fuel burns slower generally to help control knock and if it burns slow a lot will go out the exhaust unburned or partially and poorly burned and soot can increase.
Remember though that a lot of todays new gasoline blends have a lot of alcohol additives and such blended in them and they tend to result in very black soot in the exhaust and out the exhaust. Just run your finger in the tail pipe of most newer cars and you'll see what I mean and these are running on closed loop O2 systems with super lean air fuel mixtures.
I doubt with a lot of todays gasolines you can get a really clean exhaust especially when you consider a lot of todays performance boats have intergrated transoms that really create a lot of negative pressure behind the boat as well as trap a lot of exhaust at the back of the boat, especially when idling a lot.
Another thing I know is that when boaters run our Raylar kits with our quick burn chamber aluminum cylinder heads, the fuel burns quicker and more completely and the soot levels go way down.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Good Info, would longer tip help out or is the pressure still going to be there regardless?