Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
can a 496 be run on land without a garden hose on it? >

can a 496 be run on land without a garden hose on it?

Notices

can a 496 be run on land without a garden hose on it?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a 496 be run on land without a garden hose on it?

If it is closed cooling can it run on land for a short period of time???
Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have water running through it, the impeller won't last long.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Yes, but only for a few seconds. But first, you have to take the belt off or the sea pump will self destruct. After winters lay up, I always start my fresh water cooled 540 in my garage, no hose, no belt, for just a few seconds. Just enough to hear it fire up. Then when time and weather allow, I drag the boat out and run it in with the hose properly.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Registered

Default Thanks

I just wanted to see if would turn over so like 10 seconds tops, thanks for the help
Old 03-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

that's at least 5 too many seconds I think...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by risky
I just wanted to see if would turn over so like 10 seconds tops, thanks for the help
Do not do it w/o water to the sea pump or the sea pump disconnected from the belt so it does not spin. Not sure how you would do that. The rubber impeller is very fragile if run dry and any revolutions dry will take years off its life as a minimum or destroy it. If really damaged you will have to go looking for lost pieces of the impeller in the down stream plumbing as well as replace the impeller. That is a real bit*h.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
Do not do it w/o water to the sea pump or the sea pump disconnected from the belt so it does not spin. Not sure how you would do that. The rubber impeller is very fragile if run dry and any revolutions dry will take years off its life as a minimum or destroy it. If really damaged you will have to go looking for lost pieces of the impeller in the down stream plumbing as well as replace the impeller. That is a real bit*h.
That is true, impeller pieces will clog up everything. They will most likely wind up in your oil cooler.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Registered

Ok so you take the belt off so the sea pump dosn't self destruct. Don't forget the belt also turns the internal closed cooling system pump. A few seconds run shouldn't hurt as one mentioned 5 seconds to long for the 10 second run. If yours is set up like mine It's a lot quicker to hook up a hose than it is to disconnect the belt, even if you have complete access to the tensioner (alternator)
Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hot Stepper
Ok so you take the belt off so the sea pump dosn't self destruct. Don't forget the belt also turns the internal closed cooling system pump. A few seconds run shouldn't hurt as one mentioned 5 seconds to long for the 10 second run. If yours is set up like mine It's a lot quicker to hook up a hose than it is to disconnect the belt, even if you have complete access to the tensioner (alternator)

Coolant is in the engine regardless of having a hose attached. It will run for a few seconds with the pump ciculating the coolant through the engine. It would take longer than that to create enough heat to heat the coolant. Yes, I agree, its easier to just hook up a hose.

Quick Reply: can a 496 be run on land without a garden hose on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.