Any Box Anchor users?  Need advice >

Any Box Anchor users? Need advice

Notices

Any Box Anchor users? Need advice

Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Box Anchor users? Need advice

According to the website, the 'small' box anchor is good for offshore\cuddies up to 30' in length. I have a Formula 292, and am hoping to hear from others with simliar length\displacement offshore boats as to whether this is actually enough anchor for my boat before buying. I'll be anchoring in SF Bay, which has quite a bit of tide force and winds, so I want to assure this will give me enough hold. Since space on my boat is limited, I'd prefer to buy the small if it will work for me, but will go to the large is I have to.

??

http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopI...1-c5e749bb8688
Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Registered

I have a 29 Fountain and use the large anchor. It's really your decision whether you want to possibly have to screw with re-setting the anchor over and over again or if you just want to set it and forget it. I would say buy the large anchor now and be done with it. They fold nice and flat so storage is pretty easy. There is another company that makes a similar anchor that you might want to look at. www.danamarineproducts.com
Old 04-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

I only have a 21.5 Baja Hammer and I love it. I had a Danforth style previously and boated on the Mississippi and had trouble getting it to set. Had to let out a lot of rope. With the Box anchor I could anchor in heavy current and have 3 other boats tied up to me and it would not move. When it was time to leave you just had to pull up to it and it would come right up. It sets immediately and you don't have to run out a bunch of rope. They are on the pricey side, but I have never regreted getting it.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
I only have a 21.5 Baja Hammer and I love it. I had a Danforth style previously and boated on the Mississippi and had trouble getting it to set. Had to let out a lot of rope. With the Box anchor I could anchor in heavy current and have 3 other boats tied up to me and it would not move. When it was time to leave you just had to pull up to it and it would come right up. It sets immediately and you don't have to run out a bunch of rope. They are on the pricey side, but I have never regreted getting it.
Which anchor do you have?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Registered

The small isn't really that small and its a heavy bastid. Nine times out of 10 it will set the first time, but I've had it come loose a few times and need to go step on it or re-set it. Still need a fair amount of rode out for it to set right.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:59 AM
Registered

I have the small Slide Anchor and could not be happier with it. Doesn't need as much rode as the Danforth to set or hold.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered

I have the small one it works great, never broke loose and always set fast. The only thing is that it is heavy.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Get the Large. Don't skimp on the anchor. It will cost you eventually one way or the other. When you upgrade boats, you can take the anchor with you.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best anchor ever. I use the large on the 36 Outlaw and have had four other boats tied off to me.

They work GREAT.

Go with the large, bigger is always better.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Registered

I use a large box on a 38' sonic. It can get loose once in a while so I added some chain and it works even better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.