Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to change antenna battery on a Livorsi GPS speedo? >

How to change antenna battery on a Livorsi GPS speedo?

Notices

How to change antenna battery on a Livorsi GPS speedo?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a batteries plus in your area they will do it for you.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Registered

Cool Krazy Glue It!!

you dont have to tack welded just krazy glue it and you're done no problem I have done several and never had any problem just my 2 cents.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
If you have a batteries plus in your area they will do it for you.
I'm going to Seattle for the boat show next weekend, will stop by the Batteries Plus store in Everett on the way down and see if they can hook me up. (They dont have any stores in Canada).
Old 03-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sosatime
you dont have to tack welded just krazy glue it and you're done no problem I have done several and never had any problem just my 2 cents.
So glad I did a search here before pulling mine. Thank you sir!

Batteries plus, at least the one in my town, will not touch this. After getting it apart I remembered this post and decided to go for it. I very carefully broke the soldered tabs loose from the battery with a mat knife blade. The bottom one was the beotch. Be very careful there. Then put a generous dollup of super glue on both tabs and had my wife slide the battery between them while I held a hemostat in place. Lock the hemostat down and let it sit overnigh. Done! $5 bucks!

Reinstalled today and it works.

What a chitty design!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Macklin
So glad I did a search here before pulling mine. Thank you sir!

Batteries plus, at least the one in my town, will not touch this. After getting it apart I remembered this post and decided to go for it. I very carefully broke the soldered tabs loose from the battery with a mat knife blade. The bottom one was the beotch. Be very careful there. Then put a generous dollup of super glue on both tabs and had my wife slide the battery between them while I held a hemostat in place. Lock the hemostat down and let it sit overnigh. Done! $5 bucks!

Reinstalled today and it works.

What a chitty design!
Macklin,

The battery makes contact with the super glue on the tabs?
You put the glue on the tabs that touch the battery?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Registered

This is a very informative post but why does livorsi say that it needs "reprogramming" after changing out the battery? I tried this exact thing except made a "harness" for mine that I could simply plug in a new battery when the old one went dead. Tried and no go.... sent it to livorsi and they said I could have the battery replaced or I could upgrade... I just upgraded...

BTW, while trying to solder the wires on the battery, I learned the "too much" heat is not good... can you say "pop" corn? Holy Crap... I think I unloaded lol

Last edited by teamsynergy; 04-07-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I have the same problem with mine, changed battery still doesn't work.

Not sure what they mean about reprogram? These are not like the antenna's that we use for car GPS units.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well going to try to fix mine tomorrow after reading this.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Registered

tried glue and tried solder still doesnt work needle goes straidht to 9 oclock any other ideas before livorsie gets more money?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Livorsi Antennas

I would like to clear the air on everytinng I have read.

Livorsi is offering a NO Battery GPS antenna for half the cost at 169.00. There should be no further battery issues. Visit www.livorsi.com or call one of our distributors. If you have the antenna that connects with a molex connector the best thing to do is send the antena back with the gauge for testing. There are some capatilbility issues with older GPS. We will test to see if it is compatable with the new battery less antenna.

The batteries in these antennas are to hold memory into the GPS so next time you start your boat you dont have to wait 45 minutes to aquire GPS satellites again. They typically last 3 to 4 years just like watch batteries. You know when a battery goes dead, the pointer goes to the 9 o'clock position on the gauge.

The batteries are welded into place and are very diffuclut to get to. They are NOT RECHARGABLE and if you try and recharge them there is danger of explosion. We do not even attempt it at Livorsi. They have to go back to the factory.

Last edited by GAUGETHIS; 04-23-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.