Gaffrig GPS Speedo Problem >

Gaffrig GPS Speedo Problem

Notices

Gaffrig GPS Speedo Problem

Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaffrig GPS Speedo Problem

Ok, here goes. I have the standard size Gaffrig GPS speedo. When the engine is started is goes through the electronic cycle on the dial, 3 o clock-12 o clock-6 o clock position. Just when I think its good to go, it jumps to the 9 o clock position and sticks. I hit the "recall" on the tattle tale and it zero's out but in just a few seconds it jumps back to the 9 o clock position. I does nothing on the zero side of the switch. JJ at Pier 57 gave me another guage (same Gaffrig guage thats in the boat) and satellite receiver. Did the swap and its still doing the same thing. I really find it hard to believe that both instruments would be bad. I wouldn't think that its in the Tattle Tale switch ( I assume its just a switched signal back to the head unit). I am at a loss. Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Registered

When they go to 9:00 position and stay there, its usually a bad battery in the antenna. Call Livorsi (previously Gaffrig during the time frame of your boat) and send it back to them. They can test the antenna (battery) and head unit. Battery change out is ~ $100. About 1 week turn-around time. I sent mine back over winter, it was doing the same thing. There was "no charge" for the check-out, just replacing the battery. Can't explain why your unit did the same thing, unless it had a bad battery too. Battery life is supposed to be around 4-5 years, from what I was told.

Last edited by bob_t; 04-15-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a satellite was not found, the pointer will move to the 9 o’clock position and stay there until the problem is resolved.

This could mean a poor connection between the
antenna and the gauge, or the gauge is not receiving 12 volts.

As soon as the gauge begins to receive data from the antenna, the pointer should move to indicate the received
speed.

If the pointer moves to the 12 o’clock position and stays there, this will indicate that the recall/clear switch is stuck in the “recall” position, or that the connection is poor.

If the pointer moves to the 3 o’clock position and stays there, this will indicate the switch is stuck in the clear position, or that the connection is poor.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daredevil
ONLY with Livorsi's ,,,Gaffrig work !!!!

The one stated above is a Livorsi not a gaffrig !!!!
It should say Gaffrig by Livorsi !!??
Like this one?
Originally Posted by Reckless32
Recently I noticed my Gaffrig monster GPS speedo pegged itself at 32-33 mph after powering up? I reset/erased recall, and it still pegs at 32-33 no matter running or idling. I popped the dash panel off to look inside and behind it to ensure no wires were loose, or the hockey puck hadn't come loose (you know, obvious stuff) and found everything to be visibly in order.

I'm suspecting the default to 32-33 mph means something like shorted, or some kind of fault reading. Anyone know what it means or if there's a fix besides replacement?

Time to call Gaffrig....
Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Registered

On my GPS speedometer when the receiver quit I simply
patched in my Garmin GPS NMEA output into the speedometer.
Works fine. Assuming you're also running a GPS.

Pesky Varmint
Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of the info guys!! I really appreciate it. Its the battery in the antenna. Should be no problem to fix.

It is the Gaffrig by Livorsi speedo unit.

Once again, many thanks!!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered

Alright. Took it upon myself to try and fix the battery in the gps receiver/antennae. Unscrewed the white cap which has a small o-ring and teflon tape and took the unit apart by removing three small internal screws. And whaddyaknow, voila, there is a small panasonic battery in the bottom of the unit. Its held in by a couple of tack welds which were easily cut using an exacto knife. Went to Batteries Plus and bought a battery and they tack welded it back in for me, all for the grand total of $3.89. Thats right folks, three dollars and eighty-nine cents. Put the unit back together and it works like a charm. Just a bit of fyi for the do-it yourselfers!!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great info there ,thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
ONLY with Livorsi's ,,,Gaffrig work !!!!

The one stated above is a Livorsi not a gaffrig !!!!
It should say Gaffrig by Livorsi !!??
DD, the Livorsi vs Gaffrig bs is getting old. I think everybody knows your opinion by now.

BTW, the old Gaffrig labeled Livorsi guages say "Gaffrig Precision Instruments"

Gaffrig say Gaffrig Performance
Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Yeah i sent mine in to be fixed and it was the puck. Had I known about the battery and the access to it, I would've done it myself as well. Good gouge for future reference, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.