engine noise? >

engine noise?

Notices

engine noise?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by point92mach
I do not think that the valvesprings can make much noise unless they're broken...even then you'd probably never hear it.

More likely is that a rocker or two has been adjusted a little loose and you're hearing the tick of valve lash.

I'd recommend pulling the valve covers and making sure there's no contact with the the rocker arms, and then re-adjust the valves.

Greg
They will make noise like slaping and if they where broken then it will be late then you will here the piston eating the valve. hammering noise.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Registered

well.... it broke. now it has a miss. i can hear puffs of air comming through the intake when i am cranking it. it now makes kind of a hard tick noise that is completely intermittent. it has no relation with the miss or engine speed. im gonna pull the valve covers and take a look. and now that the lifters are pumped up how will i re-adjust the valves?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Registered

I'm trying to go through what i think it could be. everything i put in it was new. and im just not sure what could cause this. the boat was on plane. i was being easy on it. it had a noise and miss then i stopped. i listened to it for a second. it makes a snapping noise completely intermittent and has no relation with engine speed. i think a rocker broke. they were the only things i dont think i bought the best of. they were comp cams aluminum rollers 1.7 ratio. and when i set the engine up the lifteres were new so i set the pushrods to zero lash and then one half turn. so i really dont know what the hell happend. you get small puffs of air through the intake so a valve is open hopefully not enough to kiss a piston. babye it sucked a valve up or one of my new valve springs broke. or a rocker broke and jammed and the valve is open
Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Registered

I fired off one of my new engines yesterday with the 731 cam and new morel lifters. It look 5 minutes of so for the valve train to quiet, but it is very quiet now.

For your problem I would guess you installed the timing gear wrong on the crank and what you are hearing is the valves tapping on the pistons. If you have a crank gear with multiple keyways it is easy to do. Don't ask how I know this. Did you degree the cam in?

BT
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Pull the valve covers. You have some serious problems with the valve train. More than likely something is damaged badly. Do not run the engine.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered

i should have adjusted the valves again after firing it! this sucks. i will let you know what i find. i will most likely get the covers off wednedsay. hopefully the valves have not kissed any pistons.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered

teeh teeh Igus you donot know how to adjust valves on a bb GM I sold you thoes GILS because you cryed till Isold you them 'I was just trying to help so doint git pissy ;Iam not rebilding FOUNTIN WITH USED PARTS &Iam not begging for parts& help"PS I HAVE LOTS OF USED PARTS>(yes i am a D.ck$$$$ tee tee ) (THATS THE MASTER TECH IN EM )
Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered

HAY you can send back GILS& I will give you back your money good luck
Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Registered

hahahaha i want the gils still so too bad. thats the only used parts in it. so HA! it broke with new parts!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Registered

and i adjusted the valves like i was instructed. we are both techs. but i can say i am not a highly experenced modified engine builder. i am glad to share (even my problems) to onyone on this site both to possibly help someone who could possibly get in my position. and to get help. i have always been told "no question is a dumb question and there is always someone who knows more than you" i will let you all know what i find wednesday night. pray for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.