Like Tree0Likes

engine noise?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Registered

My Boats: Checkmate 251 Convincor(sold),Checkmate 253 Convincor(sold), 50 gibson, 21 Eliminator Daytona, 25 Sportcraft Center Console

looks like that one was too loose...appeared may have been hammering the rocker before the pushrod gave up...also what push rods ? did you ck for proper lenth ? Rob
Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Registered

My Boats: 330 Carver 30' Scarab Panther 17' ProV Lund

You say you set them at zero lash then 1/2 turn. How do you difine zero lash? It takes a light touch with new lifters to find this spot.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Registered

My Boats: Baja 24' Outlaw Marine Kinetics Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezstriper View Post
looks like that one was too loose...appeared may have been hammering the rocker before the pushrod gave up...also what push rods ? did you ck for proper lenth ? Rob
i got them from my local speed shop. i told him what lifters i had and rocker setup and he ordered them. do you think i have the incorrect length pushrods. and what is the best way to find out what size i need?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Registered

I would seriously consider pulling the head(s) to check the valves. Way cheaper to do that now than lose the valve later into the engine. I would also suggest having a pro set the lash. Little mistakes cost so much. I would not gamble an engine at this point. Take it to an engine builder to get your setup right. I use Ateco even though I know how to do this stuff. I have spent too much money fixing broken engines because I was trying to do it myself. Hi-performance parts go bad on little mistakes. That is why now I only use experts for my two strokes and four strokes go fast stuff. I was rebuilding these things when i was kid with success with stock parts and stock engines. Hi-perf is a all new game.

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 04-22-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1994 Baja 236 500HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxxer22 View Post
i got them from my local speed shop. i told him what lifters i had and rocker setup and he ordered them. do you think i have the incorrect length pushrods. and what is the best way to find out what size i need?
Don't get depressed. Figure out what went wrong and fix it. Learn from your mistakes and move on. If you don't think you can handle it, find somone local that you trust to help you. Good Luck!!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Registered

My Boats: Checkmate 251 Convincor(sold),Checkmate 253 Convincor(sold), 50 gibson, 21 Eliminator Daytona, 25 Sportcraft Center Console

they would have no way of knowing for sure what lenth would be correct, they sell a test rocker arm and a adj push rod to check for the correct lenth...Rob
Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 16 Glasspar Citation ,30 Concept SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
Don't get depressed. Figure out what went wrong and fix it. Learn from your mistakes and move on. If you don't think you can handle it, find somone local that you trust to help you. Good Luck!!
Good advice!

Last edited by EWPE; 04-24-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Registered

My Boats: 330 Carver 30' Scarab Panther 17' ProV Lund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxxer22 View Post
Start by removing a rocker from one intake and one exhaust valve. Clean the end of the valves with thinner. Sharpy marker the end of each valve and reinstall the rockers and adjust properly. Turn the engine over 2 or 3 revolutions. Remove the rockers and look for a bowtie shape approximately centered on the valves in the marker. If you have that, you pushrod are the right length.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 40 Skater 607Ci 14:71 TF Kobelco
Default engine noise

Bring it to Loto You do drywall I fix boat
Thumper
Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Registered

My Boats: 96 , cig top gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
I would seriously consider pulling the head(s) to check the valves. Way cheaper to do that now than lose the valve later into the engine. I would also suggest having a pro set the lash. Little mistakes cost so much. I would not gamble an engine at this point. Take it to an engine builder to get your setup right. I use Ateco even though I know how to do this stuff. I have spent too much money fixing broken engines because I was trying to do it myself. Hi-performance parts go bad on little mistakes. That is why now I only use experts for my two strokes and four strokes go fast stuff. I was rebuilding these things when i was kid with success with stock parts and stock engines. Hi-perf is a all new game.

well i would at least leak it down.... something sure as hell bottomed hard...