Are roller motors loud??? >

Are roller motors loud???

Notices

Are roller motors loud???

Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are roller motors loud???

Im working on a 26' Corsa I picked up. Has a 502 with dart steel heads, dart intake, holley 950cfm, CMI race exhaust and God only knows what else. Although I havent even pulled the valve covers yet, I was told its a full roller motor. I gave it a quickie set of plugs and cap and rotor and fired it up. It sounds incredible! I did a compression test cold and it was between 152 and 165. My question is it sounds real loud. Not the exhaust but the engine itself. Now this is my first experience with a roller motor. Are the inherently louder? Thanks Ray
Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe it has a gear drive instead of a timing chain.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedaholic
Im working on a 26' Corsa I picked up. Has a 502 with dart steel heads, dart intake, holley 950cfm, CMI race exhaust and God only knows what else. Although I havent even pulled the valve covers yet, I was told its a full roller motor. I gave it a quickie set of plugs and cap and rotor and fired it up. It sounds incredible! I did a compression test cold and it was between 152 and 165. My question is it sounds real loud. Not the exhaust but the engine itself. Now this is my first experience with a roller motor. Are the inherently louder? Thanks Ray
Do you mean loud like a lot of internal rattling and clanking. SOLID roller engines are loud because the rockers have lash in them and the rockers rattle. If it is a real high pitch whining sound, then it might have a gear drive instead of a timing chain. Those are the only things that come to ming off the top of my head that you might be refering to.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Registered

Default Hummmm.

No there is no whine noise. Its more like a klack ady klack. Definitely sounds like its coming from the top half. When I was told it was a full roller motor I was told it was not just the roller rockers. I assume its all solid lifters. The noise is bearable. Just wasnt sure if it was something I should be concerned with. All in all the motor sound like a top fuel motor. Has a ton of cam and the throttle response feels great. Cant wait to get the steering working so I can get this thing wet. Thanks! Ray
Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

No there is no whine noise. Its more like a klack ady klack. Definitely sounds like its coming from the top half. When I was told it was a full roller motor I was told it was not just the roller rockers. I assume its all solid lifters. The noise is bearable. Just wasnt sure if it was something I should be concerned with. All in all the motor sound like a top fuel motor. Has a ton of cam and the throttle response feels great. Cant wait to get the steering working so I can get this thing wet. Thanks! Ray
You need to find out what is in it, comp ratio, cam, where are you supposed to set the timing at? Are you running wet or dry exhaust?

Sounds like you have quite a bit of comp in there. If they are clicking in unison, then that is what a solid roller sounds like. If they are not in unison, then you need to re adjust them again. Solid roller engines need to be adjusted periodically as the lash does move on those engines.

If that is a high comp engine and you aren't giving it enough octane then it will break pretty quick. If it has to much cam and you have a wet exhaust you could have a reversion problem.

Unless it was a free engine, I would want to know what was in it, so I didn't screw it up. Even if it was free, you waste a lot of time getting it all set up etc.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Dry or wet exhaust?? Solid roller or hydro roller.. If it has a big lift cam in it, it could be the valve train, from more seat pressure, just in general harder on the train vs a stock cam. Need more info on it..

John jr
Old 04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered

Default Well....

I have the original builders number. I will try to reach him and see if he has any of these answers. I definitely don't want to hurt it. here is a pic of the motor.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have the original builders number. I will try to reach him and see if he has any of these answers. I definitely don't want to hurt it. here is a pic of the motor.
Are those headers tightning down with those valve covers. That might be some of the noise you are hearing.

Usually you need a notched valve cover with that header.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Registered

Default Wow!

Thats a good question. I do know they are right up against the valve cover. Who makes a notched cover for that?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thats a good question. I do know they are right up against the valve cover. Who makes a notched cover for that?
Lots of places. I even have several sets of good used ones if you need to buy some. They have other builders names on them, so I only use them for testing etc.

Sure would be nice to know what is in that engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.