Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best Oil choice for supercharged 454 without thermostat >

Best Oil choice for supercharged 454 without thermostat

Notices

Best Oil choice for supercharged 454 without thermostat

Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Btw, any high perf boat engine should have an oil temp guage. Running without one on a supercharged engine is like playing Russian roulette.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for the feedback and suggestions. To ask another probably dumb questions, I'm curious how I check the oil temperature? My gauge in the dask, I'm assuming only ready water temp. I like the idea of running a 120 thermostat, but I need to look at the water lines and see if the innercooler can be run as is without having that temperature get too high. I think it goes inner cooler directly into the engine and thru the exhaust. If this were the setup the thermostatat is probably removed to make sure the inner cooler always runs as cool as possible?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Registered

The best way to read oil temp is with a sensor in the pan. It should be 200-240 there. Anything above 260 will usually cause oil pressure to drop noticably. If it goes above 280, throttle back until it cools a bit. Some people don't have an extra threaded bung on their oil pan so they have to find a spot in their oil cooler plumbing. Just make sure it's before the oil cooler.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Registered

I think most people running intercoolers dump the cooler water thru the transom via a dump. Some pump the water to the intercooler but a lot are using a second pickup without a pump to supply the intercooler. It just uses water pressure created by the boat moving forward. That way when the boat is idling, no water is going thru the intercooler and the engine doesn't have a problem with the fuel condensing. Improves the idle quite a bit.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also a novice when it comes to engines. I'm running a 502 with a Procharger (M1), with no thermostat. My oil temp when I'm above 3500 RPMs is about 240. What should my exhaust temp be? I have a pyrometer that only goes to 1500 and it reads that when I'm over 3500.

On Lake St. Clair with the very cool water temps, my water temp gauge hasn't hit 100 yet

I did screw up big time today though.......accidentally I put 89 octane in. I had filled up on the street with 93 and ran 25 gallons. Today I replaced the 25 gallons with 89 and my knock alarm kept going off. I didn't run it hard, so hopefully no big damage. I dumped 2 bottles of octane boost in it tonight. Anything else I should (can?) do?