Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
calling all engine builders >

calling all engine builders

Notices

calling all engine builders

Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i put a new oil pump in and used a hammer to pound out the bottom of the oil pan but i couldnt really tell if it was bent but didnt want to take a chance. I had to pull the motor and i was pissed so didnt want to take a chance. But before we put the motor back in we turned over the motor with the distributor in and it was pumping oil up thur the pushrods. with the valve covers off. then i put the motor back in and turned it over and got oil pressure so i think im in the clear. ill let you know tommorow when i start it up and set the timing. What a pain in the a** i hope it works
Old 05-09-2009, 04:01 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Hope that solves your problems. However, you really should measure the oil pan depth with a straight edge and ruler and set your pick up accordingly. I am curious, how did you crank the engine over on a stand, with the distributor in, and get oil through the push rods? I have enough trouble getting oil up with a primer I made from an old distributor.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by conquest30'
well i put a new oil pump in and used a hammer to pound out the bottom of the oil pan but i couldnt really tell if it was bent but didnt want to take a chance. I had to pull the motor and i was pissed so didnt want to take a chance. But before we put the motor back in we turned over the motor with the distributor in and it was pumping oil up thur the pushrods. with the valve covers off. then i put the motor back in and turned it over and got oil pressure so i think im in the clear. ill let you know tommorow when i start it up and set the timing. What a pain in the a** i hope it works
So how did it go?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered

well i have been at work for the past 2 days and wont be home till wednesday morning, but my dad said he will probably go home after work and set the timing and start her up, so i will keep you posted