Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel system question >

Fuel system question

Notices

Fuel system question

Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly reccomend using a water/fuel filter before a fuel pump. The only unit that can flow what our fuel pumps flow is a Ramco, this is also the same unit that is found on all Mercury Racing 850's through 1200's. Anyone who chooses to use this unit before the fuel pump will be well ahead of the rest.

As far as a secondary filter, when dealing with FI, remember that each injector has a 10 micron bucket screen that can clog qucikly if subjected to contaminated fuel. This is why Mercury uses a secondary filter (10 micron), that should be properly maintained. Now the filter element is not like ours (we have stainless steel end caps -- theirs has plain aluminum), but the paper cellulose is the same. I have been recommending to the marinas I speak with, to change this (the element) at least every month or everytime the boat goes out (if it sits for long periods between use) -- at least everytime you change the oil.

Although I do understand Eddie's point of safety and potential for liabilty.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Registered

Alright Jim has spoken. I know him from my race car stuff, and he knows his sh*&!! Not that Eddie didnt say this as well, but Jim is the fuel delivery expert.

How ya been Jim? Good to see ya over here on the Boat site. By the way, I sold my racecar and bought a power boat. LOL.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jim Craig
I would highly reccomend using a water/fuel filter before a fuel pump. The only unit that can flow what our fuel pumps flow is a Ramco, this is also the same unit that is found on all Mercury Racing 850's through 1200's. Anyone who chooses to use this unit before the fuel pump will be well ahead of the rest.

As far as a secondary filter, when dealing with FI, remember that each injector has a 10 micron bucket screen that can clog qucikly if subjected to contaminated fuel. This is why Mercury uses a secondary filter (10 micron), that should be properly maintained. Now the filter element is not like ours (we have stainless steel end caps -- theirs has plain aluminum), but the paper cellulose is the same. I have been recommending to the marinas I speak with, to change this (the element) at least every month or everytime the boat goes out (if it sits for long periods between use) -- at least everytime you change the oil.

Although I do understand Eddie's point of safety and potential for liabilty.
http://www.ramcoperformance.com/flomax300M.htm
Hey Jim. Is this the filter you are refering to??
Old 05-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Does anyone know where I can find 575 fuel injectors?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLOWN85
http://www.ramcoperformance.com/flomax300M.htm
Hey Jim. Is this the filter you are refering to??
Yes, that is the one. Another item that makes this unit ideal is the fact that it utilizes O-ring ports instead of NPT -- just a little oil on the oring and tighten, NO pipe dope or teflon tape. NPT fittings have no place in high performance fuel systems.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by niceguy
Alright Jim has spoken. I know him from my race car stuff, and he knows his sh*&!! Not that Eddie didnt say this as well, but Jim is the fuel delivery expert.

How ya been Jim? Good to see ya over here on the Boat site. By the way, I sold my racecar and bought a power boat. LOL.

Thanks for the kind words -- is this Dennis??
Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jim Craig
Thanks for the kind words -- is this Dennis??
Nah Ernie from Yellowbullet. You helped me with my regulator issues on my Outlaw 10.5 car.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Registered

Default Flowmax 300M

THANKS for sharing the flowmax with us. I ordered one today for my carbureted blown 454. Do I need a secondary fuel filter for other particulates??? If so any recommendations.