XR Drive rebuilt by Franks Marine >

XR Drive rebuilt by Franks Marine

Notices

XR Drive rebuilt by Franks Marine

Old 05-27-2009, 05:38 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

This isn't about speed, it isn't about horsepower, it's not about taking sides. It's not about camera's or even my mother. I'm not telling anyone not to go to Frank's Marine for service, knock yourself out. This thread is about the condition of my total rebuilt drive that was done by Frank at FRANK'S MARINE. I'm only suggesting that sometimes TRUST isn't enough.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
OK, let me see if I can clear this up, I had Frank do total rebuilds on both drives. I like to run the one with the Imco lower as my primary, the XR is my spare. When I found the loose vert shaft nut in my Primary drive I took both drives to Mr Gadgets for inspection. Yes I drove from Pittsburgh Pa. to Holland Mi. The only NEW parts Mr Gadgets found in my Spare drive were the lower gears with NO Wear signs and 1 new bearing. I'm guessing you've seen the pictures of the rest of what was in my spare drive. This really isn't about the vert shaft nut, it was just the deceiding factor in going somewhere else for service.
Where abouts are you in the burgh?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered

Default Ohh GPM

Originally Posted by GPM
This isn't about speed, it isn't about horsepower, it's not about taking sides. It's not about camera's or even my mother. I'm not telling anyone not to go to Frank's Marine for service, knock yourself out. This thread is about the condition of my total rebuilt drive that was done by Frank at FRANK'S MARINE. I'm only suggesting that sometimes TRUST isn't enough.
You said it little GPM, TRUST is major, and why should or would anyone on here just what comes out of you anymore than the homeless guy on the street corner. Oh thats right your digital camera and pics of a drive that goes with a story you told about a drive that has been taken apart. Yeah we all TRUST that!! Like I said before go to the person, not cry here for all to pitty you. I am sure if this Frank has been in business for a while your not the only one he upset, and as a business owner myself, I can tell you one thing if your not upsetting somebody your not doing enough business.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bboater
You said it little GPM, TRUST is major, and why should or would anyone on here just what comes out of you anymore than the homeless guy on the street corner. Oh thats right your digital camera and pics of a drive that goes with a story you told about a drive that has been taken apart. Yeah we all TRUST that!! Like I said before go to the person, not cry here for all to pitty you. I am sure if this Frank has been in business for a while your not the only one he upset, and as a business owner myself, I can tell you one thing if your not upsetting somebody your not doing enough business.
I have no dog in this fight, nor do I have an opinion on the issue but for your 1st 2 posts I call
Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

It sounds like you and Frank must be good buddies. Don't pity me my money spends anywhere.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Registered

TOUCHE' Bboater...
Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
It sounds like you and Frank must be good buddies. Don't pity me my money spends anywhere.
Can't believe I actually got sucked in to posting on these things. You kids have fun and Frank nice to meet you.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Registered

Can someone explain why you should not pull a skier?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Can someone explain why you should not pull a skier?
It's not that no one should pull a skier.. This particular setup is not skier friendly at all. Problem is the drive is already way way more than twice its rated capacity.

Planing is hard enough on it with 1400 hp but figure in that you have to push it harder out of the hole to pull skiers. Hole shots kill drives faster than anything nearly.

So if you couple the 1400 hp on top of nearly jerking another load out of the water something has to give in that totally unbalanced drive train. Most go fast boats are not made to do it. They are purpose built. Personally, I would not dare try to pull a water skier up with my boat. 600+ hp forcing its way through a bravo I is enough. Bury the tabs and try to plane her at 2800 or very near. With a skier that weighs in at say 180LBS my boat would take 3/4 of a mile to get on plane and it'd be the hardest 3/4 mile that drive has ever seen. It's all the plowing before plane that loads it up.

Of course this scenerio varies a lot from boat to boat but if you're already more than double on the horse power, why would you further chance anything? The main point is if you can afford to keep fixing it then have at it knowing that you'll eat drives like crazy. I'm quite amazed that he was able to do 3 130 mph passes with the XR period. That has to be one fun boat to ride in!

Just my opinion.

Last edited by SDFever; 05-27-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered

Wink

I would think a smaller prop like a 24 or 26 b1 for watersking, thats why I am keeping my 26 and not going to run a my 32 or 34 if someone wants to go tubing or sking when my new motor goes in. well good luck with MR .G, I went with a KONRAD ACE set up that way I can sleep at night and not wait for a drive to break while I am half way to block island or MV. HELLLLOOOOO SSEA TOWWWW CAN YOU TOW ME IN 4FOOTERS, no thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.