Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Not drawing water >

Engine Not drawing water

Notices

Engine Not drawing water

Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

We wiped out a brand new impeller by not putting in any lube around the casing.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've lubed the casing, and all of that good stuff, yesterday i went and tightened all the clamps to limit the air pockets, then i went to check the impella, and a few pieces had broke off. so i decided to call it a day. but i've just picked up the new impella and this time it's going to be well greased with plenty of water.

this time should i fill the block, hoses with water and still run the garden hose thru the intake hose and try starting

would this work
Old 06-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered

add one of these, it was the best money I ever spent and have not had any impellar problems since...

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?...F&WT.mc_id=gb1
Old 06-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

You on your second impellar? Have you looked for the pieces you are missing? The pieces could be blocking the water flow. I do not understand how running a hose on earmuffs will not prime the pump. I usually let the water run for a while before I start the engine.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ThruHull
add one of these, it was the best money I ever spent and have not had any impellar problems since...

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?...F&WT.mc_id=gb1

I had these installed in 2003 on my twin application, after a couple of years, starboard engine one had the check valve stick closed and smoked two impellers before I figured out what had happened. Ripped the guts out of it and found the check valve sealing rubber "sticky" with slime build up. It was enough to keep the valve closed with the engine water pump sucking on it and thereby smoking the impeller. Ripped the guts out of both of them and now just use the "body" as a tie in point for the hose connection. Hose on full and engine idling and some excess water back flushes through the sea strainer but at least I don't smoke impellers from stuck check valves. When they work, they work EXCELLENTLY, but have to keep an eye on them to make sure the check valve opens when you first fire it up when sitting in the water.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by x7734x
Is the block filled? If there is no water in the block it will take longer than 30 seconds to get water through the whole system. I would fill the block at the thermostat opening until its full first.
Agreed...
Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
I had these installed in 2003 on my twin application, after a couple of years, starboard engine one had the check valve stick closed and smoked two impellers before I figured out what had happened. Ripped the guts out of it and found the check valve sealing rubber "sticky" with slime build up. It was enough to keep the valve closed with the engine water pump sucking on it and thereby smoking the impeller. Ripped the guts out of both of them and now just use the "body" as a tie in point for the hose connection. Hose on full and engine idling and some excess water back flushes through the sea strainer but at least I don't smoke impellers from stuck check valves. When they work, they work EXCELLENTLY, but have to keep an eye on them to make sure the check valve opens when you first fire it up when sitting in the water.
I haven't had one fail yet but I am sure my time is coming. I have seen some people just install a T in the line which would be cheaper than the valve and help insure he is getting water to the pump when flushing on the hose.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Registered

This is a brand new motor with new everything, it's seem's abit strange to me as well, but i'm going to check for blockages in the line but it should'nt because everything is brand new, i guess with water already in the line might help to prime the system i guess, but at this time i will try anything, all the hoses r run the same way that it was rigged on my 7.4l MPI, other than the fuel cool system since i've gone with the carb seup..

thanks again. the input has been great
Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Registered

thanks Daredevil
Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daredevil
Not agreed,,,,if u have the muffs on the drive ,,the waterhose press will get the water to the pump in less then 5 sec. so that has nothing to do with the impeller.
I agree it takes 30 + seconds to get it to fill the block ,,,,but like i said ....that cant burn up the impeller.
because u have water there already.

SO THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON !!!!!!!!
I'm not sure how your boat is rigged... but most boats put the impeller pump as the first gadget conneced to the intake hose (unless you have sea strainers). So if you put muffs on the drive, it will take 2 seconds to get water to the impeller, but it will still take more than 30 seconds to fill the block, exhaust, external coolers and intercoolers.

So yeah, if your boat is rigged so that the water comes to the sea pump after it goes through the block.. then your f'd!!!

I guess the question is... "Why do you think it's not getting water?" Is it because nothing is coming out of the exhuast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.