Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Not drawing water >

Engine Not drawing water

Notices

Engine Not drawing water

Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They won't self prime with no water in the intake hose. You have to put it in. Hooking up the muffs and running the hose will not push water up and into the intake hose unless there is already water around the pump impeller and the engine is running. There is nothing wrong with your setup. Run it the way I said and you will be happy.

You can tell immediately if it is pumping because the water will stop spraying out around the muffs. No need to wait and see if it comes out the exhaust.

Last edited by blue thunder; 06-12-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Registered

The engine is rigged the right way, it's just not priming, but thanks again for all the insight, because the initial start up was with no water in the lines at all, so i guess it can't self prime.

Hopefully later today, i'm going to back flush to make sure that the water is flowing, then top it up with as much water in the system as possible, put the ear muffs on and let her rip..

thanks again
Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I've only replaced a couple of motors but both times I fired the boat up before putting the drive on. Just shoved a hose into the intake in the gimbal. I didn't want to chance the pump not being able to "pull" the water up through the drive.

As stated backflush everything then verify your intake and output hoses are not reversed. You may be able to unhook the input hose from the gimbal and shove the garden hose inside of it to prime the pump.

FYI...both times it only took 10-15 seconds to have water exiting the exhaust.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered

Just to make sure,

the hose from the gimbal goes on top of the pump, and the hose the recircutales the water through the motor is on the bottom.
?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered

On mine the in port on the seapump is at the bottom. But you really need to look at the arrows on the pump to determine pump rotation and looking at the arrows determine which port is in and which is out. The pump can usually be mounted different ways so you must look at the arrows for you particular application.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Listen to Blue thunder, he's giving some very sound advice...

I've even seen a few boats where the first time I launch it I have to pull the hose off the intake on the waterpump to relieve any airpockets before starting.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Daredevil, raw water pumps don't "always" prime themselves. I've seen it first hand.

The 232 Sea Ray for instance is natorious for not wanting to self prime until you get some air out of the hose coming from the transom assembly to the raw water pump after a long winters rest..
Old 06-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Daredevil, raw water pumps don't "always" prime themselves. I've seen it first hand.

The 232 Sea Ray for instance is natorious for not wanting to self prime until you get some air out of the hose coming from the transom assembly to the raw water pump after a long winters rest..
Yep that's right. And I can garantee with mine there are no air leaks because I pressure tested it over the winter during rerig. It still won't prime. It's really annoying, but plan for it.

89.6mph for me so far Panther with the new x

BT
Old 06-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the Advice fellas. Filled the whole system with water, atleast as much as i could..lol didn't want another impella blow out. But the engine pulled water like a champ.. I was suppose to take some video footage, but i guess i was so excited that i totally forgot that i took the camera to the boat..Oh well i guess next time

So hopefully i should have some footage soon, Just got abit more cosmetic stuff to take care of, and i will post some #'s

Q
Bermuda
Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Yep that's right. And I can garantee with mine there are no air leaks because I pressure tested it over the winter during rerig. It still won't prime. It's really annoying, but plan for it.

89.6mph for me so far Panther with the new x

BT
Great news!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.