HELP Please!  All Engine Electrical Gone >

HELP Please! All Engine Electrical Gone

Notices

HELP Please! All Engine Electrical Gone

Old 07-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Please! All Engine Electrical Gone

I bought a new boat 2 weeks ago and have been getting it ready to go (fluids, impeller, etc). Yesterday was to be its first trip for fun. It's a 28 Powerplay with a 99 HP500.

The boat is wired for 2 batteries with a Perko switch, but only had one in it and has worked and ran with it. Yesterday I hooked up a deep cycle to the second wire. I then soon lost power to the accesories, etc and thougt the starter battery was low. I switched to "both" batteries and then got them to work. Put boat in water and then tried to start it......NOTHING. When I looked the stater battery's post had melted off!

So I unhooked everything and tried to start on the deep cycle, nothing. Tested the starter battery and re-hooked it up and nothing from the engine on stilll. There's power to the accessories that don't go through the engine (tilt/tabs/blower, etc) and there's power TO the starter, but that's where it stops. The ignition wire running right off the starter solenoid (right next to the live power in) is dead, and every wire that comes off engine harness is dead (gauges, ignition, etc).

So, did somehow whatever bad hookup I had fry the starter solenoid? Or, is it possible that it fried the circuit breaker on the motor, as I tried resetting it several times and nothing worked?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

You must check all fuses and breakers. Start at the battery and move forward down the lines. Also their is a breaker on the starter. Check it out. Take your time. Don't panic!!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gripit
You must check all fuses and breakers. Start at the battery and move forward down the lines. Also their is a breaker on the starter. Check it out. Take your time. Don't panic!!

I've done that, there aren't too many fuses, just breakers. It didn't kick any of them over.

I did like you mentioned and tested going forward from the battery. The perko switch is still good, and everything that doesn't run from the engine. So I'm nearly positive it's something in the engine, as it's hot going in, but not coming out.

Thanks. Oh, and I've given up on panic, and just know that I won't be using the new boat for a while longer (not like 4th of July would have been fun on it).

Last edited by rlj676; 07-04-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:28 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe the plug that connects the engine harness to the boat harness
Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
Maybe the plug that connects the engine harness to the boat harness
I checked that and it appears to be just fine.

On another forum someone suggested that there's a fuse on the starter/solenoid. He described it as a block and I think I know exactly what he's talking about so I'm gonna head out and see if that's it. I'm hoping it is!
Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
I checked that and it appears to be just fine.

On another forum someone suggested that there's a fuse on the starter/solenoid. He described it as a block and I think I know exactly what he's talking about so I'm gonna head out and see if that's it. I'm hoping it is!
There is a "block" looking fuse on the starter solenoid. Its a one time deal fuse, once it melts that's it must be replaced and you will loss all power to the engine, dash, acc's,etc. I think its a 50amp fuse and cost about $39 bucks.
Oh the reason that fuse melts MOST of the time is connecting the battery cable on the wrong direction + to - and - to +..not the correct way + to + and - to -
Old 07-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by crapr6
There is a "block" looking fuse on the starter solenoid. Its a one time deal fuse, once it melts that's it must be replaced and you will loss all power to the engine, dash, acc's,etc. I think its a 50amp fuse and cost about $39 bucks.
Oh the reason that fuse melts MOST of the time is connecting the battery cable on the wrong direction + to - and - to +..not the correct way + to + and - to -
Yep, it was that fuse. Crazy looking fuse

I'm pretty sure I had it hooked up correctly, but now hope that I didn't so it isn't a wiring problem and was just operator error!

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
Yep, it was that fuse. Crazy looking fuse

I'm pretty sure I had it hooked up correctly, but now hope that I didn't so it isn't a wiring problem and was just operator error!

Thanks everyone.
Had a customer of mine decide that he can handle replacing one of his dead battery's on his boat. He put the battery in and hooked up the cables wrong way. As soon as he fliped the battery switch he siad things were smoking and had no power. Ended up being the same fuse on the starter. I replaced the fuse, connect batterys correctly and everything else was good to go.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Registered

To burn the post off, you almost HAD to have it hooked up with a ground to hot connection somewhere. We have a diesel air compressor that had the main hot ground itself out on the body of the starter, same thing happened, it melted the ground sides completely off.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by crapr6
Had a customer of mine decide that he can handle replacing one of his dead battery's on his boat. He put the battery in and hooked up the cables wrong way. As soon as he fliped the battery switch he siad things were smoking and had no power. Ended up being the same fuse on the starter. I replaced the fuse, connect batterys correctly and everything else was good to go.
Originally Posted by PJDiesel
To burn the post off, you almost HAD to have it hooked up with a ground to hot connection somewhere. We have a diesel air compressor that had the main hot ground itself out on the body of the starter, same thing happened, it melted the ground sides completely off.

Yep, the only way I could imagine it happening was the battery being hooked up backwards. I've hooked up plenty and know damn well how to, but appearantly screwed it up in my excitement to get going on the water?

As soon as I can get a replacement fuse I'll be good to go, so it could have been much worse. Just sucks it cost me a nice weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.