Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hardin Marine Stainless water pump >

Hardin Marine Stainless water pump

Notices

Hardin Marine Stainless water pump

Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was thinking about getting these next season, maybe not.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I am running them without issue.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Mine works perfectly as well
Old 08-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems here either.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Registered

OK this thread makes me feel much better about the exact situation that I have. Two motors, two lifetime housings and two completely different water pressure outputs. I actually have water pressure gauges on the outlet of each pump. Both pumps are identical as far as I can build them out. Thru hull water pickups identical and all new hoses and fresh built Gen 6 motors with identical oil coolers. STB motor 2 psi at idle - Port motor .5 psi at idle. Running 50 MPH I have 12 psi on STB and about 5 psi to port. My oil temps on each oil cooler correspond to the lack of water pushing through the port motor as well. Oil coolers have 210 deg thermostats - running hard the port motor creeps slowly toward 250F. while the STB motor is rock solid on 220F. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a major difference in these pumps output and/or pressure. For the life of me I can't diagnose exactly what's wrong but indeed there is a difference. I even swapped both pumps and the problem went directly to the STB motor and Port is now fine. Soooo all that said, I still "WANT" to buy these housings because they are obviously more rugged and look like a great piece of work (contrary to what me and at least a couple of others are finding). If anyone has found what I should be looking for as far as defect in the housing then I'm all ears! Thanks.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Registered

Mark the housings and pull them. Carefully inspect them side by side, with I.D. mics or snap gauges if available, and see where the differences lie. If the bad one is oversized or misshapen I feel you have a great case to have it swapped out by them.

These pumps are simple but if one housing is too large it won't properly perform.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Registered

Thanks I'll do just that, I've popped in new impellers / O-Rings / Wear Plates to boot but no difference in pressure. I'll most likely buy a third housing to have a spare and do my measuring across all three before returning the (hopefully) faulty dimension unit. I certainly don't want to bash Hardin / CPP as I buy a lot from them but this one has stumped me for the better part of a season.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had low pressure with the SS pumps and went back to the plastic ones. The SS cavity IS smaller which would/did create LESS volume/pressure. I too spent MANY hours trying to figure this out. Hardin sent me two "new design" SS pumps but I was DONE. I have two new SS pumps minus impellers for sale, a bunch of SS 1" NPT fittings and half a strainer.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one, other is stock. No problems all season that engine has more flow out of exhaust. When other side wears out will replace with Hardin,
Old 09-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I install at least 20 of these pumps a year on stock applications which includes the old style and the newer pumps for the 496 engines and have never had a pressure or performance issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.