Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine rotation help >

Engine rotation help

Notices

Engine rotation help

Old 04-01-2002, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks fellas, I'm sure it must be plumbed backwards backwards. So did we settle on standard rotation being considered left hand?

Tinkerboat, what is the Scarab that you have that has enough room to get the cam out. I have a panther with bravos. Didn't think I could quite get a cam out. Maybe I can.

BT
Old 04-01-2002, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

1992 -- 34 SCARAB EXCEL
Old 04-01-2002, 07:27 PM
Registered

Well I took the pump off and I definately have it plumbed correctly. Didn't fry anything inside the pump. Still could see grease on the edges. Reinstalled pump. Took intake hose off transom fitting and turned water on with muffs to see if water would come out inside boat. Nothing. Put hose in fitting inside boat... got good flow with no resistance out outdrive. Put hose in intake hose and ran engine. Got flow out exhaust but more from one side than other. Actually a lot of steam and little water out one side, nice flow out other. Seems like the brand new pump is weak. When I had it off I blew in each port and could blow threw relatively easy. That didn't seem right. I would think you should not be able to blow through easy. The pump I replaced was an old one that had the back plate with the hose connections as a seperate cast iron piece. The new one is one piece back plate and body. Something seems wrong. I have all the parts to rebuild the old cast iron job, but am I wasting my time?

Tinkerboater... you probably have the same setup as me. Bravos in a boat that could have been set up for TRS drives. I could have a party in front of my engines. That sure is nice!! It's between the engine I need monkey arms.

BT

Last edited by blue thunder; 04-01-2002 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

BLUE THUNDER-- You either have a problem with the pump or you have a air leak between the pump and the outdrive. POINT TO PONDER --- never -never - never push water into an engine without it running. You can fill the exhaust with water and then get water into the cylinders. I tend to think something is wrong with the pump.

I have the same problem between the engines.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:17 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the help fellas. After running it with the garden hose down the intake hose last night, I rehooked the intake hose to the transom (double clamp this time) and put on the muffs. Now I have great flow. Probably an air leak like Tinkerboater said. Feeling like a pig in **** at the moment. Thanks again.

BT

Last edited by blue thunder; 04-02-2002 at 08:21 PM.