Props spinning out getting on plane >

Props spinning out getting on plane

Notices

Props spinning out getting on plane

Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try anything I could get my hands on, just stay with the same # of blades, if the problem is still there, then you know something else is causing the problem, if it goes away, its the props.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon
Yes it has done it before but seems to be a little worse now. There are a few small dings in the props but not horrible and they were there when I got the boat and they haven't got any worse.
Take you props off and have a local prop shop fix the dings and have them add some cupping. If your props are performing overall good there is no reason to buy new ones and go through another learning curve.

When I first got my boat I could not get on plane in anything over 1.5' waves. Took my props to the local shop and they said that over time all of my cupping had been washed out. They reblanced, trued the pitch back up and added cupping. I lost 150 and 1mph but I now can get on plane in any type of water.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello I was wondering if the boat has drive showers on it, because I have heard someone say that different drive showers where causing cavitation proplems. That when they take off the water flowing across the bottom would actually suck air from he top causing this. Just something I heard dont know this for a fact.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have drive showers? When I added mine several years ago I had to shorten the pickup tube. The prop would slip or blow out when it was longer.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again everyone. I'm still looking for someone with a pair of props to try and if I can't in hte next few days I'll send mine off to be redone. And no I do not have drive showers on them.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Registered

Something else weird on my boat is both drives/props spin the same direction. Could this have anything to do with it? It sucks as the prop torque get pretty bad when backing off the throttles, wants to make a hard right especially if throttleing down fast. On a good not it gives me a good reason not to let anyone else drive my boat!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Registered

Try searching vent holes and diffuser ring ,
Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by olmo40
Try searching vent holes and diffuser ring ,
maybe a dumb question but what are those?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Vent holes are in the front of some props, at the base where the prop meets the drive. These are plugged with a plastic cap and can be removed to allow the prop to aerate so it can spin a little easier on some boat. The diffuser ring is the flare at the back of the prop, this ring is used to keep exhaust gases out of the blades so you do not cavitate in the exhaust.

You must be running twin Alphas
Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Registered

No, twin Bravo 1's. I'll run up to the storage real quick and take a look at them. Its also straight thru hull exhaust, no captains call etc... so no exhaust runs through the drive/prop what so ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.