Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Props spinning out getting on plane >

Props spinning out getting on plane

Notices

Props spinning out getting on plane

Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, the do have vent holes. 3 on each prop that are not covered with anything. Heres a few pics I just took of the props.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Registered

Will the vents still aerrate the props any since I don't have any exhaust running through the drive?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

They could still bring in some air. You have 2 RH props? you could get a LH prop and just switch the cables on your throttles. A Bravo can spin either way. I thought that you had Alphas because a lot of twin Alpha boats both props spun RH.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Registered

Yeah, I knew you could do that, I'm just not sure how to. I figure whenever I have to buy a set of props I'll end up doing that though. Now I guess I gotta get some plugs for the vents also to give that a try. Thanks alot Rookie (and everyone else!) for sticking in there with me on this. Hopefully we get it figured out soon.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon
Its also straight thru hull exhaust, no captains call etc... so no exhaust runs through the drive/prop what so ever.
That depends on the type of exhaust bellows you have between the lower unit and bellhousing. If you have the open ended bellows or no bellows at all air will get pulled through the passage and down to the prop as you come up on plane. I have thru hull exhaust also and had that problem on my boat when I switched to an "over the hub prop" (Mercury Chopper), so I got a cap plug and capped the exhaust passage in the lower.

Marco

Last edited by Holeinthewater; 08-05-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Holeinthewater
That depends on the type of exhaust bellows you have between the lower unit and bellhousing. If you have the open ended bellows or no bellows at all air will get pulled through the passage and down to the prop as you come up on plane. I have thru hull exhaust also and had that problem on my boat when I switched to an "over the hub prop" (Mercury Chopper), so I got a cap plug and capped the exhaust passage in the lower.

Marco
Good call, I never thought about that. I'll check later and see what I have. Thanks!