Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Starter Question ..... >

Starter Question .....

Notices

Starter Question .....

Old 04-02-2002, 08:31 AM
RickA

Unhappy Starter Question .....

I just finished installing a new 502 Mag in my boat and when I went to test start it, all I got was the familiar dead battery clicking from the starter. So I went out and bought a new 875 CCA marine starting battery, installed it and same thing....more clicking. Grrrrr !!!

Checked all the connection to the starter, battery and also check the ground on the back of the engine.....still only clicking.

Haven't tried a slight whack on the starter solenoid, but that could be next.

Any suggestions before I rip the started out ?

Rick

Old 04-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a starter solenoid on the back of the motor where you Merc harness plugs in. It could be bad. Try bypassing it with a jumper wire or screw driver. If the motor cranks, get a new solenoid.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...S+%28ENGINE%29

Copy and paste this link. The solenoid is #5 in this diagram

Next step would be double check all battery cables for corrosion and tight connections, then check the starter itself.

Good Luck, Eric
Old 04-02-2002, 10:49 AM
RickA

Thank's for the info Eric, I'll give the solenoid a try.

Rick

Old 04-02-2002, 11:30 AM
Registered

You should check to see if you have water or oil in the cyl
Old 04-02-2002, 11:42 AM
RickA

Dixie Doug,

Engine is brand new and was fired up a month ago at the machine shop to set the timing and check for leaks. The shop is a certified Merc engine re-builder, so I think it would be safe to say that there would be no oil or water in the cylinders.

I can also crank engine with a bar so I don't think it's hydraulic locked if that is where you were leading.

Pretty sure it's electrical, just not sure where.

Rick

Old 04-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

Try useing a known good set of jumper cables to bypass the batt wires to the starter. That way you can see if the stock cables are good or not. If it still "clicks" then i would start on the solenoid and go from there.

***Also make sure the bilge area is well vented!!! Dont need anything blowing up with stray sparks!!! *****

I know this aint the best way of testing but when you are trouble shooting it helps to rule out all the easiest first before tearing into everything!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My starter does the same thing. It will crank after repeated twists of the key. Figured it was the solenoid.
Is there a difference between marine and automotive solenoids?
I know that the automotive ones are sealed to prevent moisture intrusion.
Could I use it in place of the marine unit?

My solenoid is mounted on the starter, standard GM equipment.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:25 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I had a simular problem once. Turned out I forgot to connect the cable to the battery. I had connected a lighter gauge wire that fed the solenoid, but because starter runs directly off the battery, there was no juice to turn it over. As obvious as it appears, it took alot of head scratching to figure out why it would "click" but not turn over.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:40 PM
Registered

Iggy, it is your slave solenoid on the front of your engine. That might be the same for the 502 problem also. They go over the winter often.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Donzi Mitch,
You saying I have two solenoids?? One on front of the engine as well as the one I know is on the starter?? Hmmm. I'll check the wiring schematic when I get home.
It was like this last season too, but not as bad. It would only click once in a while.

Quick Reply: Starter Question .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.