CMI rope seals..

Notices

CMI rope seals..

Old 04-03-2002, 07:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMI rope seals..

I decided to replace the rope seals on my CMIs over the winter and now 3 of the 4 are leaking. Is there a right way to install these things so they don't leak?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

They're a ***** to get right.

First, I've never been able to do it with the pipes on the boat. I remove the entire header/tailpipe and disassemble everything. I hole the header solidly in a vise.

All surfaces need to be clean, Scotchbrite the header tube and the flared section of the tailpipe.

Loosly place the clamp, rope seal, and clamp insert (the peice that bridges the clamp) on the tailpipe. The rope will seem longer than it needs to be. You need to push it into place all around the clamp. The compression of the rope is what seals everything.

Slide the assembly over the header tube (easier said than done) and position eveything where it needs to be. Don't forget the bypass hose. Some silicone spray lubricant helps the bypass hose to slide around while your doing all this.

Check the assembly to be sure everything is where you want it; the clamp position, the clamp insert, the flare, everything; and then just snug the clamp.

Install on boat and tighten everything leaving the clamp for the very last thing to tighten. Wail on the clamp 'till you think it's too tight.

I've also found that after a while it helps to replace the clamp itself.

That oughta work...
Old 04-06-2002, 08:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Chris, I think I got mine from BAM (they advertise on this site) for about $6 each.

These ropes are a poor design. I know a lot of people that have problems with them. Mine leaked before I changed them, now they leak even worse.
Old 04-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have CMI's and they dont leak!! Try this trick and see if it helps you out.
Go to the hardware store and look for wood burner door gasket material. It is a fiberglass rope that can be had in different thicknesses. I think I used the 1/2" rope. Buy 8 or 10 feet of it. Some places have it in bulk. Now take the strand and open the clamp and tuck it into the groove. I used a plastic tool, but a screwdriver will work. The trick is to wrap the rope around the pipe several times until it is packed in there pretty tight. Now when you squeeze the clamp the rope will tighten up and there are no seams to leak at. The more you force in and the more wraps you make, the better!! Give it a try, works for me.
Good luck!

Dick