Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood? >

Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?

Notices

Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I lived upstate and we were remodelling our house there were 12- 2x8's and a bunch of 8 foot studs laying around as scrap. I used carriage bolts to samwich the 2x8's together. these formed the left and right upright and the crossbeam. Made two triangles of 2x4 studs and bolted them to the uprights. Then finished with 2x4 braces from the uprights to the cross-beam to give a little more stability to the crossbeam. Bottom of cross beam was about 12 feet above ground, and about 12 feet between the legs. Wrapped a 1/2 chain around the center of the cross beam and used 1 ton chain fall. I pulled my small block several times as well as another friends engine using this over about 3 years. When done, took the legs off the sides and laid it down (hard to do without dropping it). Then unbolted the cross beam from the uprights and braces. stored all the pieces flat beside the house. Sorry there are no pictures as I really didn't spend much effort in making something to be nice looking. All my lumber was scrap pulled out of the house and all I had to purchase were a ton of carriage bolts (all 3/8") in various lengths. Would have to say that is is critical to get the traingular supports and braces to the cross beam done well as these take a lot of load if your driveway is not dead level front to back and side to side (I leveled the cross beam side to side by trimming the bottom of one of the uprights). My transom top rail was about 6' 6" above the ground when on the trailer. When we moved, took it all apart and had to put the wood out for others to recycle.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Last Spring I went to Harbor Freight and bought everything you see here because just like you I wanted to be able to use it as needed, and wanted to be able to work at my own pace.

The crane was $400 but HF constantly sends 20% off coupons if you are on their mailing list so I bought it for $320. I then bought the chain hoist and trolley from them as well. I think ALL 3 of the items out the door were under $400 bucks. It extends 13+ feet in the air and about 8 feet wide.

It was MORE than up to the task depsite it being "cheap chinese crap". you can break it back down pretty easily and store it without taking up TOO much space.

Coincidentally, I just got a coupon in my email from them for 20% off from 09/11-09/14 so if you want the coupon email me and I'll shoot it to you - eric.ancarrow (at) ferguson.com
Attached Thumbnails Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?-p4260512.jpg  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
jfm
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the same one my old man got. Nice setup
Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jfm
That is the same one my old man got. Nice setup
I was REALLY impressed with it. It didn't creak or flex, or anything....
Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this once.........No boom on that little wrecker so we improvised
Attached Thumbnails Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?-florida-pics-079.jpg  
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not in a hurry you might try looking at industrial auctions (google) I have seen many hoist, cranes, and assorted frames go pretty cheap.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Last Spring I went to Harbor Freight and bought everything you see here because just like you I wanted to be able to use it as needed, and wanted to be able to work at my own pace.

The crane was $400 but HF constantly sends 20% off coupons if you are on their mailing list so I bought it for $320. I then bought the chain hoist and trolley from them as well. I think ALL 3 of the items out the door were under $400 bucks. It extends 13+ feet in the air and about 8 feet wide.

It was MORE than up to the task depsite it being "cheap chinese crap". you can break it back down pretty easily and store it without taking up TOO much space.

Coincidentally, I just got a coupon in my email from them for 20% off from 09/11-09/14 so if you want the coupon email me and I'll shoot it to you - eric.ancarrow (at) ferguson.com
Looking on the Harbor Freight web site, it looks like it is only 7'10" wide. I thought my boat was 8'6" wide? So I'm wondering if that will be wide enough?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

You are correct. Most are 102"
Don't forget the fenders on the boat trailer..
Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
Looking on the Harbor Freight web site, it looks like it is only 7'10" wide. I thought my boat was 8'6" wide? So I'm wondering if that will be wide enough?
Obviously it will depend on your beam. My Cig Cafe Racer has an 8'0" beam and by the time it tapers down at the transom it is probably closer to 7'6".

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
You are correct. Most are 102"
Don't forget the fenders on the boat trailer..
I was lucky in that enough of my boat hangs out behind the fenders that I didn't have to remove the fenders.

FBRONCO - just check it out. It is definitely worth the $400 if it fits....
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
I second pay for a boom truck. I had to replace one of my engines last month (had a spare that saved boating season). and this is what I used.

Its nice to have friends with these kinds of toy's. 30 minutes from the time he showed up to the time he left. Old engine out, new engine sitting in engine compartment.
bigjim i always took you for the kind of guy who had a nice big pole barn out back...

i am up against the same thing right now also. i recently built a 40 x 72 shop with a 12' ceiling. i would like to stretch an ibeam across the shop but the cash flow is not up to snuff at the moment. i'll probably use a 4 x 6 x 10 above the trusses and reinforce them also.

OVERCOME - IMPROVISE - ADAPT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.