Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood? >

Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?

Notices

Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built my Gantry with $150 worth of wood and was put together with lag and threaded bolts so it can be taken apart and stored.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Obviously it will depend on your beam. My Cig Cafe Racer has an 8'0" beam and by the time it tapers down at the transom it is probably closer to 7'6".

I was lucky in that enough of my boat hangs out behind the fenders that I didn't have to remove the fenders.

FBRONCO - just check it out. It is definitely worth the $400 if it fits....

I just measured my boat approximately where the gantry would set. It is exactly 94 inches wide. I'm wondering if there is any wiggle room in the measurement that Harbor Freight has published?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z302
I built my Gantry with $150 worth of wood and was put together with lag and threaded bolts so it can be taken apart and stored.[IMG][/IMG]
Do you have pictures? I cannot see the attachments in your posts.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

i would think if you sandwiched two 2x8x12's together for the sides and had two sets per side making like a scissor by through bolting them about 2 to 3 ft from the top extending the bottoms out 5 ft and then run a 2x6x6 on each side (bottom) of that so you could actually even put castors under it if you wanted and then hang a 4x6x10 across the top and tie it together. you could then tie the bottom ends together from side to side with just a couple of 2x4x10's. hope this makes sense. i'll draw a pic and post it later. i'm sure there are several ways to build one however this is just an idea that i might even do if i don't get my ibeam in place.

also the measurements at the point where the scissor intersects and how far the bottoms extend would be determind on how high you have to lift. you may need longer boards.

or just do the harbor freight deal... LOL

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-10-2009 at 09:30 PM.