Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New power with vid >

New power with vid

Notices

New power with vid

Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holly crap that is a lot of fuel in 4-6 minutes. I ran mine for about 10 and used 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon. What power valves are you running and what is vacume reading at idle. I am no carb guy but something is off.

Did you take off the flame arrestor and make sure you did not have a float stuck from the carb sitting? Mine did that when I first started it this time, fuel was pouring out the overflow tube.

Cant wait to see you videos, and hear that cam.
I got mine back together after the paint, i will take a good video tomorrow and post it.

PS, I dont know what parts stores you have available, but my local O'Reilleys has power valves in stock, and is open on Sunday
Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by tx911
Holly crap that is a lot of fuel in 4-6 minutes. I ran mine for about 10 and used 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon. What power valves are you running and what is vacume reading at idle. I am no carb guy but something is off.

Did you take off the flame arrestor and make sure you did not have a float stuck from the carb sitting? Mine did that when I first started it this time, fuel was pouring out the overflow tube.

Cant wait to see you videos, and hear that cam.
I got mine back together after the paint, i will take a good video tomorrow and post it.

PS, I dont know what parts stores you have available, but my local O'Reilleys has power valves in stock, and is open on Sunday

it was a combination of things causing the fuel consumption. i still need to go through and fine tune each carb. overall i am very happy with what i have seen so far. the real test will be in the boat. going from 454/330's to these built 496's should be a noticable gain. i would think 10 MPH anyway. for the test run i just set the timing at 12 deg. initial. i'll bump the timing up tomorrow and set it for total advance.

heres what we have so far.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../0/Lm2TkfQSRsU

the two actually sound pretty similar. besides my starter hanging up as i am going to be using top mounts anyway.

Last edited by getrdunn; 10-04-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

Sounds damn good. I cant imagine going from 454/330hp to those, you are not going to know what to do.

Looks and sounds awesome.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

Nice exhaust by the way
Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by tx911
Nice exhaust by the way
thanks,
i need a little more time on it to get everything A1. it should be a pretty good package. i might even hold off on the install until after a dyno pull or two.

-496 ci
-forged assm.
-dart 310 rec. ports (valako)
-dart intake
-holley 800 cfm
-comp cam custom grind hyd. roller (gellner)
-super sucker spacer
-stock tb-1V ign.
-9.8 to 1 comp.

estimated hp at 5800 rpm (600-610)

dean gellner was a great help and assisted throughout the biuld.

thanks dean.

john