Re-Build HP 500 >

Re-Build HP 500

Notices

Re-Build HP 500

Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re-Build HP 500

I have twin 500's (carb) in my 98 Fountain lightning. I had replaced the starboard engine due to water damage and all exhausts and risers. With about 350 hours the port engine head gasket blew. Cleaned upithe block and heads and replaced the gasket (did not send out for machining). The engine is running great but has not been freshened up for 400 hours or so. Should i just pull the heads off and send them out or do I need to do the lower also IE. total re-build"?

how long should the lower be good for?

I dont run the boat real hard but am in salt water and as I said there are between 350 and 400 hours on that motor.
the compresion is around 160 and 170 all around.
thanks
Dan
Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

hp 500 eat valve springs at 250 ish hours

many people just replace the springs.

I always pull the heads and have them checked and cleaned up.

many ive done have had a head gasket on its way out.

Now I always recomend it
Old 10-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hp 500 re-build

Thanks for the feed back. I did blow a head gasket and replaced it. When doing so, they cleaned up the heads real good and inspected them. I still think I should do the heads but how many hours on the Core? I have about 400 hours or less on the engine now?

Thanks
Dan
Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was mine I would pull it and check it out. Right now while it is running good at 400hours it will likely need minimal work to refreshen the bottom end, but if you wait and something lets go it will be far worse. I have made plenty of mistakes and now error on the side of caution. The last time I pushed it when I knew the motor needed to come out it cost me a block and a crank. When I as at the machine shop there was a guy there with a drag motor with a very expensive Callies crank, he said he had been running the same crank for 12 years in a 7 sec drag car, but anytime he had a question in his mind he tore the motor down.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salt water shouldnt effect the bottom end that much as long as you were religous with the oil. If its still nice and quiet and you still have good oil pressure, chances are the bearings still have some hours to be put on them. Your compression is nice and even which is good. getting the heads checked out is a good idea, while you have them off take a look at the pistons and bores. Im sure they will be close to perfect. I think you have another season or 2 left if you treat her right.

Last edited by OutlawMan; 10-05-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added sentence