Bravo steering slop >

Bravo steering slop

Notices

Bravo steering slop

Old 04-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo steering slop

Does anyone know how to adjust the steering on a Mercruiser 7.4L MPI Bravo setup? I had a friend of mine hold the steering wheel steady while I forced the outdrive to the left and right. There was over half an inch of play. I think this is what is causing my chinewalk. I hope there is a way to take the slack out without having to go to the dealer. Any resources? My Clymer's manual doesn't say how to do it either.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

If you have an older boat it is probably slack in the cable. Another area to check is the pinch bolts at the top of the gimbals - they can come loose.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:31 PM
Registered

The boat is a 2000. The drive does not move up or down so I don't think it's the pinch bolts.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I had close to 1/2" of play, maybe a touch more in my gimble assembly. (88 Bravo w/470 hours) I believe that most of it was in the tiller. Apparently this much slop is acceptable with the cable steering. In the end, corrections to the boats balance and attentive driving (working to keep the boat balanced on the running surface) were the solutions. I never got the chance to add hydraulic steering which really is the required fix.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:19 PM
Brad Perry

1/2" is how much my drive has had since it was new. Much less than many older drives I have seen. Haven't done too much boating yet, but with full hydraulic and zero slop, I can't tell that much difference from the way it was before other than I don't correct as much as I used to. The boat still acts the same way.

Old 04-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

The pinch bolts on the tiller shaft only stop side to side play not up and down. also the tiller arm cam get loose on the vertical tiller shaft.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:45 AM
F223LS

I had the same problem on my formula, The steering lever has a nut and bolt on the side, and I guess it comes loose on some boats. It is a pain to get at, go to www.hlsm.com and bring up the microfische on the bravo drive(gimble ring and steering lever), look at #9,19 ,20, thats what I had to tighten, and it took the play out. Good luck

Old 04-09-2002, 02:02 PM
Registered

I have the same problem and my gimbal ring and swivel shaft are gone so im having them all replaced and all new bellows boots for both drives done and all new shifter cables ect
If you are going to do it, do it right
Thank god I only had to do the one side not both, someone already did the port side

Check the swivel shaft and hinge bolts behind the trim senders, if not, your going to need a gimbal ring
Jason