454, upgrades?

Notices

454, upgrades?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave, This is in a 253 Checkmate at Tomes. I ran the engine #'s today and merc. told me It is a '96 454 350 hp. (I guess that it at the prop.) I verified it has the forged aluminum pistons and forged steel crank. and the rectangular ports. From what I have been told 525hp is doable on this platform. That would put this boat in the mid 70's which is good enough for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If it is indeed a Mag engine then you could get buy with just freshening up the bottom end. You will have to go roller to get the performance. Call RMbuilder for your cam, lifters and springs. Freshen up your heads while you have them out. Get a good set of aftermarket exhaust with long risers. Allow some money to upgrade the oiling system, with better flowing fittings and hoses. Make sure the oil cooler is large enough for the added power. You will probably need a bigger carb also. Be prepaired to spend a bunch of money to do it correctly. Good luck with your project!!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:15 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

right on thanks. I would plan on having a proffesional do any motor mods. As I don't see the value in doing the work wrong the first time. All it will take is one rookie mistake and I am floating down the bay getting towed in by some jetski...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I do all my own wrench work. Like assembly, pulling the engine ect... I have a local machine shop do the technical stuff.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Registered

If its a mag I would put a blower on and run the stock cam. Then you can get by with that exhaust and just a carb change. That would be wisest if the engine is in good condition.

If you want a second opinion or anything say the word. I am off next week and available. I love boat shopping

PS, I just always wanted to use that smiley, nothing intended there. Now where did I leave those doritos......
Old 12-12-2009, 08:30 AM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

I am not huge blower fan but it does seem like the easiest way to gain hp.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just want to swap it out, I have 2 engines for sale. Matched set of 468's. 580hp on carb. Long blocks for sale with 14qt oil pans and I have intake I'll toss in. All your accessories will bolt on. Forged lower ends, eagle rods, Merlin heads, roller valve train. One is ready to go $5K. The second is apart needs assembly. It spun 2 rod bearings, lack of oil. Block is checked, align bored, honed, crand is checked, cut .010 on rods, new set of rods, bearings, gaskets, rings, 8.5 pistons. $3K. I'm right up in Philly. Pm me if interested after you get estimates on having an engine built. I also have a set of B&M 250 blowers that will go on these engines and make around 700hp. I will seperate them. Bill
Old 12-13-2009, 04:12 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Thanks Bill, I bought the boat and will run it next year as is. I am going to take my time and possibly next winter add some hp but first I want to run it for a season to make sure there arer not any issues I "need" to take care of first before I do the option al upgrades.