small blocks or big blocks? >

small blocks or big blocks?

Notices

small blocks or big blocks?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by donnawanna
thanks for the input Rookie I realy like your panther I looked at the pics. you posted of it and it helped me decide to get one for myself.
Thanks, that means a lot. With all the badazz boats out there you looked at mine and it helped you make your decision.

Back to the topic, I find it funny that people are suggesting Ilmors, and new LSX motors. I could not see putting $50,000 dollars worth of engines in a $15,000 boat. kind of reckless suggestions.
JMO
Old 12-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

How about a couple of Turbines with Arnisons?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

[QUOTE=jeffswav;3000315]How about a couple of Turbines with Arnisons?[/QUOT
good idea I like that
Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously, like I and many others have said. There is a reason why we all have BBC's in our boats. Big boats need a lot of torque to plain off. The engines also build more power in the lower RPM range with huge torque numbers. I have a 489 stroker engine, you make that with a 454 .030 over and 4.25 crank. If you do not have the money for a custom roller get a flat tappet cam with similar specs to the 420 mercs. You can easilly build somthing in the 450HP range and run 5400 RPM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Seriously, like I and many others have said. There is a reason why we all have BBC's in our boats. Big boats need a lot of torque to plain off. The engines also build more power in the lower RPM range with huge torque numbers. I have a 489 stroker engine, you make that with a 454 .030 over and 4.25 crank. If you do not have the money for a custom roller get a flat tappet cam with similar specs to the 420 mercs. You can easilly build somthing in the 450HP range and run 5400 RPM.
this is the 4th boat I have owned they all had big blocks. and this one most likely will too. I have just been looking at some options.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rookie
Thanks, that means a lot. With all the badazz boats out there you looked at mine and it helped you make your decision.

Back to the topic, I find it funny that people are suggesting Ilmors, and new LSX motors. I could not see putting $50,000 dollars worth of engines in a $15,000 boat. kind of reckless suggestions.
JMO
To the topic and your comment of reckless suggestions

Who "suggested" he put Ilmors in?

UD
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
To the topic and your comment of reckless suggestions

Who "suggested" he put Ilmors in?

UD
Originally Posted by tcuda499
no replacement for displacement !!!!!! You want to save wieght and better fuel economy, go with some Ilmor's....probaly would take up alot more room though???
Post #3

I might be a little bit wrong on how I worded "wreckless suggestions" but I see simple topics such as BBC vs SBC and see people suggesting putting $80,000 in engnes in $20,000 boats. Which you (UD) did not, you only spoke of your good results with your SBC's

I just read a thread the other day when some guy asked a simple question, if he should add an innercoolers or jump up to the next size blower for his 525sc's (454's). This was a really nice '80's boat. There was someone who said "if you can swing it, I'd go with these" and there was a link to $56,000 Teague blower motors. WTF

Sorry if I offended anyone

Last edited by Rookie; 12-04-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

yes,you can make a lot of power with a small block,but it comes at a price.dollar for dollar,the bbc makes the most sence.as already stated,bbc parts are everywhere,and reasonably priced,as eddie and ray said,go with the bbc,these guys doo this for a living,and they know what they are talking about.you can find fair deals right now on oso classified,on good used takeout engines.if you decide to go with the small blocks,it will cost you more to go the same speed .good luck with your project.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
Post #3

I might be a little bit wrong on how I worded "wreckless suggestions" but I see simple topics such as BBC vs SBC and see people suggesting putting $80,000 in engnes in $20,000 boats. Which you (UD) did not, you only spoke of your good results with your SBC's

I just read a thread the other day when some guy asked a simple question, if he should add an innercoolers or jump up to the next size blower for his 525sc's (454's). This was a really nice '80's boat. There was someone who said "if you can swing it, I'd go with these" and there was a link to $56,000 Teague blower motors. WTF

Sorry if I offended anyone

No worries- and thanks for the reply.

I didnt see that quote...although that would be nice..... I totally agree

... thats a far cry from the posters questions and not really a practical answer.

Buying from Merc, Teague, Eddie, Gellner, Ray/Larry, Ilmor is like an insurance policy. No one ever went wrong cutting checks to these guys. Anybody with dough can do that.

I think we see lots of "non advice" and "of course" suggestions because guys in our hobby are eager to share what works with fellow boaters, and then..... the other type of guy thats trolling and feels compelled to chime in about s%!t they know nothing about- these are the guys that irk me.

UD
Old 12-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Registered

Lightbulb

the 30 Panther has an 8' beam , so big blocks would be a PITA to work in between just to change plugs. My boat has 8' beam
and I can barely squeeze between the engines to do so , but doable.I can manage to do a starter change or work on the cool fuel system as well. Couldn't be done with BB's without some dismantling .6.2 [ 377 cu] takeouts and 383 engines can be found !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.