Water pressure gauge and 496HO >

Water pressure gauge and 496HO

Notices

Water pressure gauge and 496HO

Old 12-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pressure gauge and 496HO

Where is the best place on a 496Ho to connect a water pressure gauge?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Registered

Hope someone knows the answer to this I would like to know too.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Registered

I think mine are on the starboard block drains. theres a brass fiiting that comes out of the block with a tee, one to drain,one goes to a hose for gage? 500efi's though..... Does this sound right?

Last edited by tcuda499; 12-11-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

the 496 has the same thermostat housing as the small blocks ,
so the sensor location for the smartcraft would be be the same for both engines. Here's [ circled ] where the sensor located on my 6.2's . Some people put a fitting in the hose right after the seawater pump.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Registered

They are no where near the same as the small block pictured above.

The 496 is closed cooled. The thermostat housing could not be more different. 496 stat is in the port side of the cross-over directly under the heat exchanger and above the circ pump.

There are several places you can install a water feed and run it to your gauge. Some of them are "t'eed " off of the engine side of the raw water pump. Some are on or around the ps cooler.

You can not use any block location as that is the antifreeze side and not the same cooling pressure you're asking about..

Has to be somewhere between the raw water pump and the exhaust. Using the reverse side of the smart-craft water sensor is the most convenient. It's hiding down on the bottom of the starboard front side of engine and behind the spin on fuel filter. Easiest way to reach is to take the two stainless nuts off and pull the whole fuel filter assembly off of the engine and bungie it out of the way...

Last edited by SDFever; 12-11-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the best place would be just before the power steering cooler then.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spectras only
Sounds like the best place would be just before the power steering cooler then.
Which ever location is the easiest to reach in a given bilge is my personal fav..
Old 12-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you remove the water psi sending unit on the rear of the engine , where you will find it neatly placed in the cooler. simply use a 1/8" pipe thread tee- fitting, male x female x female, a 1/8p xd what ever fitting your using to go to dash, install tee, then install fitting and original merc sending unit. and your done. if you have smart craft you will be reading the same on both your vessel view and your mechanical guage, within reason.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Thank You SDFEVER and MONSTAAA for getting the facts on this thread back on the right track so the guy can get a simple pressure guage sender location. Phew! sometimes the technical inputs on these threads can really get a question asker way off base! Glad we got some 496 knowledgeable contributors to get them back in the right direction!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Thank You SDFEVER and MONSTAAA for getting the facts on this thread back on the right track so the guy can get a simple pressure guage sender location. Phew! sometimes the technical inputs on these threads can really get a question asker way off base! Glad we got some 496 knowledgeable contributors to get them back in the right direction!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Why is it that most of your comments have some sort of negitivity to others? Makes me think neg of Raylar to be honest.

Last edited by tcuda499; 12-15-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.