Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Holley's (Cutting the Air Horn) >

Holley's (Cutting the Air Horn)

Notices

Holley's (Cutting the Air Horn)

Old 12-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just milled mine off, but mainly because i have a really tight engine compartment on that set-up and it was clearly leaving too little room for air flow between the carb and top of the drop-base flame arrestor on the inside...

I don;t kniow that it is worth the hassle unless you have clearance problems.

you can buy a proform body without the airhorn for a little over a hundred bucks if you want to go that route.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will not see anybody in a real race app running without it being done....now I did not like the idea of not diassembling the carb to do it in the link...but the H/P figures stated seem about what I remember seeing as well...free H/P !!!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut mine last winter because I have low air cleaners and very little space between choke horn and air cleaners. Made a big differance was worth the time. Took carbs apart and cut with hack saw than finished off with Dremal tool. In the summit catalog you can get carb bodies already done . Think company is Proform or something sounds like that, around $120.00
Old 12-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Clustergear
Cut mine last winter because I have low air cleaners and very little space between choke horn and air cleaners. Made a big differance was worth the time. Took carbs apart and cut with hack saw than finished off with Dremal tool. In the summit catalog you can get carb bodies already done . Think company is Proform or something sounds like that, around $120.00
I like tinkering over the winter anyway and will more than likely just do my own. The Proform ones do look nice. I don't have any clearance issues as I am in need of some scoops anyway after my new installs. Between the Dart intakes, Supersuckers and 10" x 5" flame arrestors I had no option but to start cutting. In my opinion the hors suit one purpose and one purpose only and that is to accomadate a choke. I'll be sure and post the before and after flow bench results (good or bad) along with some pics for what ever it's worth. Perhaps it will only satisfy me knowing there gone. LOL...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Get after it. Happy cutting
Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Get after it. Happy cutting
There's a man who understands.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to 750's that are cut. I aquired them that way. They performed flawlessly on the dyno, no leaning problems. Didn' test with a stock carb to compare though.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

My father machined mine off my old 750DP Holley. It will make a difference in response and add 25-40CFM vs stock.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Registered

cool